Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This isn't a "Hobson's Choice" type question as such but I'm curious regarding how other people feel and how they would react in similar circumstances.

My 13 year old English Fox Terrier had a painful looking lump on his rear hock that he kept on licking and chewing. It was bleeding something awful. I took him to the vet. The vet is great but what transpired is an example of what can happen with our pets when things get open-ended.

The vet said it was a tumour and doing a test on it in-house it seemed to be malignant. I asked what the options were and he said removal of the leg and possibly chemotherapy. I said that given the dog's age I wouldn't have that thrust upon him and if worse came to worse I would have to say goodbye to my old friend. :cry:

As a compromise, we agreed that the lump would be removed and I insisted that a full biopsy be done while he was under anesthetic to know the full results. They operated and the sections were sent off to the lab for full testing. Well it was great when I found out that there was no sign of cancer. :)

They stitched the leg up, bandaged it and said I would have to come back in three days to get it checked. He received an Elizabethan collar. I came back after three days and watched the bandage being removed. The leg was purple and smelled something awful. The stitches had blocked off the circulation and he was getting gangrene. :cry:

They removed the stitches so it was now an open wound that would take ages to heal. It was re-bandaged, and these would have to be changed every three days. He was also put on a course of hefty antibiotics.

This has been weeks now and cost around $3500 so far. :wow: The last removal showed the wound was granulating well and he's a lot happier so I am a lot happier.

To cut a long story short I'm wondering how far people are prepared to go to get their pet healed and whether situations like this, where costs escalate to a 'point of no return' have ever have happened to you. I have no regrets and would do it again but was amazed at how quickly the costs mounted. :thumbs:

·
Administrator
60,253 Posts
I'm glad your dog is mending :thumbs: they are like family.
I have spent some serious change on my dogs over the years. I will do everything I can, within reason, to help them out. If the dog is old and the outcome doesn't look positive, I won't put them through surgery just to keep them with me. There has to be common sense applied.
It is very hard to say goodbye.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm glad your dog is mending :thumbs: they are like family.
I have spent some serious change on my dogs over the years. I will do everything I can, within reason, to help them out. If the dog is old and the outcome doesn't look positive, I won't put them through surgery just to keep them with me. There has to be common sense applied.
It is very hard to say goodbye.
Thanks CG. My thoughts exactly. I'm appreciating him even more after this ordeal. :thumbs:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Euthanasia is something I've had to consider with various pats in the past. Terrible wrench to lose one, but as they are dumb animals perhaps sometimes it is best for them?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I spent £1500 trying to save a cat. Unfortunately it was a weekend and my normal vet was closed, so I had to go to a different one who was covering. They appeared to save the cat and on the Monday it was transferred to my usual vet who promptly told me he didn't expect the poor animal to live and he personally would not have recommended operating in the first place. He was proved right when my cat died a few hours later.

So for me, the answer to the OP's question is at least £1500 and I would probably have kept spending a while longer if necessary, as I really wanted the cat saved. The moral of the story is, always make sure you have insurance. I didn't.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankfully we haven't been in that position so far but it serves as a reminder that I really need to sort out some insurance for the dog.

I imagine that for most people the answer is as much as you can afford and then some more for good measure. Glad yours is on the mend PT.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Provided there was a good quality of life for the animal, I'd spend as much as it required. That's why we have insurance though. It's expensive but worth it. Our last dog had serious problems when he got poisoned. We had three days of intensive care at the local vet and then at the Royal Veterinary College (taken there in an animal ambulance!). Sadly he died but 3 days of intensive care treatment meant the bill came to nearly £3,000, all covered by the insurance (less small excess of course). The costs mount up very quickly.

Glad your dog is on the mend.

Cheers,

Nigel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts