Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am looking at planning a bit of a long haul tour in the next few years. Now I am wondering how far would you travel in your classic and would you have faith in it. The other thing is what classic would you take on a mega long run and what destinations would you love to incorperate in a run....

·
Registered
83 Posts
not a classic as such, but i did about 6k miles round europe a couple of years ago in a 91 mx5. i would recomend it. Give me a shout if you want more info.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Well I am looking at planning a bit of a long haul tour in the next few years. Now I am wondering how far would you travel in your classic and would you have faith in it. The other thing is what classic would you take on a mega long run and what destinations would you love to incorperate in a run....
A guy like you could go anywhere!
Bit of prep and a boot full of spares,tools, trolley jack...
Just make sure you've heating if it's going to be anyway cold...

·
Registered
513 Posts
Make sure it's well serviced and you're familiar with it. Most breakdowns on older vehicles are rubber related, old tyres, hoses, belts etc. For years I've taken bangers to motor races in Europe, usually about 1200 miles, and in 20 odd years I've had 1 flat battery and 2 tyres. Take a full size spare if you can, old space savers are useless 500 miles from home on a Sunday night. Bit of preparation and you'll be fine!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is more a thread about people having faith in their classics as I have done cross euro trip in 35 year old cars and what has me asking is there are a few people every year drive to africa in vintage landrovers and it has me really thinking..... so who here would drive across europe in the morning in their classic.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Believe it or not I'd take the 33 in the morning, it's hardly a classic though. Your Landy would be well up for it I would have thought.

·
Registered
513 Posts
This is more a thread about people having faith in their classics as I have done cross euro trip in 35 year old cars and what has me asking is there are a few people every year drive to africa in vintage landrovers and it has me really thinking..... so who here would drive across europe in the morning in their classic.
It's not an Alfa but I'd take my 20 year old Corvette in the mornng, less sure about the 10 year old Alfa mind!:lol:

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,759 Posts
scoot back a bit; 30 years ago, when your classic was new, it could make the trip. 15 years ago, assuming servicing was adhered to, it would still do it. Now, if you've been careful with servicing, it will do the trip.

A car has no concept of speed or its age. As long as heart is strong because the regular consumables have been replaced (thanks to servicing etc), it'll plod along.

I'd love to drive a GTV6 in autumn to a chalet deep in the Swiss alps, and stay there through a snowy winter until the spring thaws the freeze :)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
scoot back a bit; 30 years ago, when your classic was new, it could make the trip. 15 years ago, assuming servicing was adhered to, it would still do it. Now, if you've been careful with servicing, it will do the trip.

A car has no concept of speed or its age. As long as heart is strong because the regular consumables have been replaced (thanks to servicing etc), it'll plod along.

I'd love to drive a GTV6 in autumn to a chalet deep in the Swiss alps, and stay there through a snowy winter until the spring thaws the freeze :)
Now that is the trip to do and having done the alps in a classic italian lump it is one of the best drives you will ever do. Frank I believe you about the 33 as you are like the SAS with it "leave no one behind" as I use to love hoping in the old beasts and driving down to the docks to go on a UK midnight run for an event that I had only decided to go to a few hours before hand...

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Now that is the trip to do and having done the alps in a classic italian lump it is one of the best drives you will ever do. Frank I believe you about the 33 as you are like the SAS with it "leave no one behind" as I use to love hoping in the old beasts and driving down to the docks to go on a UK midnight run for an event that I had only decided to go to a few hours before hand...
So now you're revealing your agenda!

Although my brown Sud didn't make the Laois meet I would go anywhere in it.

Particularly if you and Frank were going!!!:D

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I don't see it as a classic or not classic issue, modern cars has more electrics and other components to fail, old cars easier to fix on the roadside (I've seen Trabants' belt replaced with pentihose). Get your car well prepared (yourself are already well prepared by profession), and enjoy.
The Alps is amazing, have a look at the 4 pass ride, pop over to the Dolomites, I did it in September, it was the driving holiday of my life.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
If they were road legal i'd hop in the 33 or 75 tomorrow and do a trip no bother. the 75 seats ar surprisingly extremely comfy, last year I had been thinking of taking the 33 to the spring boxer day which is an anual event in the UK but didnt get around to it, maybe next year.......

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If they were road legal i'd hop in the 33 or 75 tomorrow and do a trip no bother. the 75 seats ar surprisingly extremely comfy, last year I had been thinking of taking the 33 to the spring boxer day which is an anual event in the UK but didnt get around to it, maybe next year.......
Next years boxer meet could be a good one with the csud being 40

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi there,
I took my GTV on a 3000 mile European trip last Sept despite it only having covered 735 miles in the previous 14 months. It performed faultlessly and averaged 33mpg so definitely would take that in the morning.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi there,
I took my GTV on a 3000 mile European trip last Sept despite it only having covered 735 miles in the previous 14 months. It performed faultlessly and averaged 33mpg so definitely would take that in the morning.
Well 2600km in a day and a half across europe in a fiat which had been parked up for over 10 years till I collected it that week but one of the most fun drive I have ever done....

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats her but your 3 point turn was good as did you forget it was rwd and you can turn it with the throttle:lol:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts