Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across a site the other day where a guy used a pela 6000 (oil extractor) to change the oil in his car.

Seat Ibiza Mk4 TDI oil and filter change

Anyone ever used one on their alfa, and how effective is it?
Eg. Is the sump on the alfa 2.0TS flat at the bottom, therefore allowing the pipe, which is fed through the dipstick, to sit on the bottom of the sump

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
I think unscrewing one bolt is easier than passing a pipe through the dipstick and never being sure it sucked all the debris at the bottom out...

The bottom of the sump is flat, extractor will work but you will never know how effectively...

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Saves getting under the car, but if you have a sump plug I'd still use that route. It amazes me that some new cars (BMW for example) are coming out without sump plugs !! :confused:

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I lot of garages use these types of thing for oil changes nowadays, personally i prefer the sump plug route, as you can then inspect the oil for debris and possibly catch any problems before they really start

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
A nice large sump plug with hot oil from a recently run engine is more likely to move any debris from the sump bottom due to the fast movement of the oil. A suction extractor will not do this. Even when I worked at dealerships, I never used a suction pump on my own car.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
I tend to change my oil every 6000 miles and use a suction pump thing on the interim change as its a darn sight easier than removing the panel and laying on the floor with oil dripping up your arm. I dont think there is more than a dribble left in the sump:thumbs:

However i do it properly every 12000 miles:lol:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have one and use it. It is clean and simple if you are just doing an oil change, but not super quick though.

Oil filler cap off, dipstick out. Thread extraction pipe down dipstick hole untill touches sump bottom. Pump handle to create vacum, 15 pumps or so, and while you are waiting change the oil filter. Give it another 15 pumps and get a cuppa and about 15-20 mins latter the oil is out.

The thinner the liquid the quicker it is sucked out. 20/50 is about 25mins for 5 litres. 10/40 is about 15 mins and petrol is about 2 mins for 5 litres.

You then take off pipe and put a spout in its place to make pouring down the drain a doddle, only joking, pour oil into the empty oil can you have just filled the engine with and take it to the recycling plant.

No oil spills in garage, no oil running down your sleeve as the sump plug comes out, clean hands oil change.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Read that regarding the Smart. Saved putting a threaded sump with a plug I guess? Some Beemer autoboxes are deficient of drains I believe too?

Personally I prefer to drain the oil when its hot, via the sump plug, and then get an incline by jacking the front well high, so the utmost old oil is removed. Fastidious, ain't I?:D Or just plain fussy.:lol:

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Did you know it is the only way to get the oil out of a Smart car?

Ned
Turn em upside down and give em a shake.

BMW I worked on was the same !

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers for the advice guys. I think I have got a vacuum pump in the shed, which I might give it a go. I did read some stuff on the web about the pros and cons of this method. Some people say it is not good as some crap and oil can still be left in the sump. But some say it is very effective. I suppose the main thing is it you know approx the amount of oil in the sump you can gauge by how much has been extracted.

I do like the idea of intermediate changes with the pump.

However if oil changes are done every 5k for example and good quality oil is used, Would there actually be any crap in the sump?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Recently looked at a certain persons, who wanted me to check on the oil/ filter change they had done recently. Guess they must of not had the time to suck it all out, as it was sort of clean at the top, and dirty at the bottom of the stick. Appeared to be a new filter though. Plug out for me, everytime.:):

1 - 14 of 14 Posts