Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering a Giulietta and quite fancy the 8C Red but I'm wondering whether touch-up paint will be available for it and how easy it will be to keep the paint from looking like it has got measles.:confused:

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
You probably need to put some vinyl on the bits that are going to catch the chips and even then you might get torpedeoed by a stone thrown across the road sideways. My poor Tarquini has a map of the solar system all over it (but then he has travelled, all over it.. :D)

Ralf S.

·
Administrator
87,755 Posts
I'm seriously considering a Giulietta and quite fancy the 8C Red but I'm wondering whether touch-up paint will be available for it and how easy it will be to keep the paint from looking like it has got measles.:confused:
I don't think anyone will be able to tell you about the 8C paint chip resistance yet ;)

IIRC in the past there has been a delay in Alfa releasing touch-up pens for new colours but it's worth contacting a dealer to see if it's already available, I doubt it though.

Now the question is what will be the price of an 8C touch-up pen :confused:

I'm betting £40+ :lol:

·
Registered
36,067 Posts
I don't think anyone will be able to tell you about the 8C paint chip resistance yet ;)

IIRC in the past there has been a delay in Alfa releasing touch-up pens for new colours but it's worth contacting a dealer to see if it's already available, I doubt it though.

Now the question is what will be the price of an 8C touch-up pen :confused:

I'm betting £40+ :lol:
the extra cost of the 8C paintjob will be due to extra circuits of the paint shop to create the bright silver base on which translucent red and laquer coats are applied.the touch up is unlikely to share the reason for the extra expense. The same is true of the Orange colour which is £800 extra on the Focus ST.I believe the previous 8C painted shells had to go to Maserati to be painted whether they were 8C or not. There may be an"ink" coat as it is known to increase the Flop or shadow of the red?

U

·
0 Posts
Lets face it, if you've paid £1500 for some paint you won't be tempted to tailgate someone on a gravelly road will you? Chances are you will need a push bike for the wet and gritty days.

......in fact you might only be able to drive it on quiet roads at night or very early in the morning. :)

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The 8C paint is probably more chip resistant than the regular ones, as it has more layers of colour, and probably more layers of lacquer on top.

I saw a 2001 Nuvola Blue 156 the other week on the street and its paint was in excellent condition. Okay, this is oil-based paints, but it was still far less scratched looking than a 9-year-old car would normally be, and it wasn't what I'd call a "show" car either...

·
Registered
36,067 Posts
I remember talking to a nuvola 156 owner years back when it was new and he said he did not tell the insurance company which blue he had in case they increased the premium!

U

·
0 Posts
The 8C paint is probably more chip resistant than the regular ones, as it has more layers of colour, and probably more layers of lacquer on top.

I saw a 2001 Nuvola Blue 156 the other week on the street and its paint was in excellent condition. Okay, this is oil-based paints, but it was still far less scratched looking than a 9-year-old car would normally be, and it wasn't what I'd call a "show" car either...
I take your point but I don't feel the thickness of the paint is the problem - its the lack of adhesion to the phosphated base coat. In fact, when I had the Alfa Red 159, the majority of the chips under a magnifiying glass actually looked like the paint had shattered like glass - in which case, thicker paint could be worse.
The fascinating bit about my car was that there wasn't a mark on the front bumper - whatever plasticiser they use to make the paint flexible enough to stick to the plastic bumper, it managed to "glue" the paint on and absorb the shock of stone impacts.

As lovely as it may look, I would never contemplate paying £1500 for a special metallic paint - even 400 is a rip-off.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
I can say that our Bravo in Maranello red has now done close to 80k miles and the front is fine. Sure there some chips but nothing too bad.

I know its not the 8C paint but it is like the new red apparently

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Having spoken to my local dealer, the paint on the 8C was hand painted at great expense. The Giulietta 8C red has been beaten down to a price and is now machine painted. It is different paint. I have been told unless it is professionally analized you would not be able to tell the difference though. Longevity therefore remains still unknown as you will have to wait for your new Giulietta to get a few years undeer the tyres first.

Having seen a Giulietta in 8C red in the Milan sunshine, I would definately say it is worth the extra cost:D

·
Premium Member
4,562 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have 8C red paint and chose to cover the front in Ventureshield. When paying that amount I didn't want to see the dreaded spots all over the car. Ventureshield has been excellent. However I have a couple of chips on one of the doors and the Alfa touch up paint stick does a reasonable job. The colour is admired by everyone who sees it and it's at it's best in direct sun. But it doesn't seem to retain any of it's value when I've checked out my cars value.

·
Registered
36,067 Posts
Early on it was available to cloverleaf club members for £500 instead of £1750 but it's a shame if there's no value premium on resale.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
The problems have nothing to do with 8C Red paint. The problem was down to the bodyshop he used. A proper one will have be able to fix any problems.
+1 Big Jon

If your buying not selling the lack of premium in your favor as well!

Need some pics to help convince you? :D

1 - 20 of 64 Posts