Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to take the nearside door panel off an Alfa GT. The speaker is as dead as a dodo and I suspect that a wire has come loose but how the hell do you get the panel off without wrenching the damn thing off and breaking it?;)

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Only done it on wife's147, and Lanny Thema. For them, roughly so: armrests unscrewed, pull handle unscrewed, contains Elec window switch, think that was the Lancia though, edge of door card secured by hidden push plastic buttons,prise edge off, fingers should work,or flat tool to start,pop out bit by bit,sometimes plastic sockets are left behind, sometimes buttons snap, cheap as chips,push top edge away from top of door/glass, should be there. Difficult to describe, easier to do. Anything I have missed out, no doubt Bodger and co will add.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that, it was the breaking of the plastic buttons that I was concerned about, if they are cheap and easily obtainable then I think I'll give it a go at the weekend, driving me potty only having sound out of the off-side speaker.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
It's relativly easy..I did both door panles on mine acouple fo weeks ago after having a set of Infinity speakers waiting to go in for months.

Start by winding down the window fully!

As said above, there are a number of screws along the bottom edge and in the puddle light. Remove these then take off the small blanking cover behind the door pull and remove that screw. Take that peice out (disconnecting the tweater speaker as you do).

The cover over the interor of the wing mirror simply pulls off...do that. On the drivers side there is a small screw underneath the armrest section in the top of the cubby hole that holds in the window switch as well that needs removing. Remove the window switches ( they just prise out carefully) and you will see a bolt holding a metal bracket on teh door card to the main door..remove this.

The worst part is the actuall door handle/pull section. You need to take out the blanking plate at the top but it is VERY difficult to do this without causing some minimal damge to the handle or blanking plate:(

Unscrew the main screw behind that. The best way to get the panel off is, with the window wound down, start crefully pulling the panel away at the bottom to release it from the door, then along the inner and outer edges, then pull upwards once all the clips are released.

Dont pull fully up though as there is a small wire connecting to the puddle light that you will need to disconnect. Then you can remove the door card:D

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Sorry racing car, omitted some of the stuff about blanking plates, window position, that Jason has kindly added. The blanking off plates do require care, thin tapered tool for entry, minimal damage.Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,520 Posts
It's relativly easy..I did both door panles on mine acouple fo weeks ago after having a set of Infinity speakers waiting to go in for months.

The worst part is the actuall door handle/pull section. You need to take out the blanking plate at the top but it is VERY difficult to do this without causing some minimal damge to the handle or blanking plate:(

There's actually an easy way to do this, I discovered later....
What you do is just screw in a small platescrew in center of this blanking plate, and then pull out the plate grabbing the screw with a plier or so. This of course ruins the blanking plate, however, these are availble at low cost and better then damaging the doorhandle ... Just replace the small blanking plate(s) with new ones

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
I'm Stingy, do hate replacing anything, often hate myself if I damage things. Fastidious old git you see.But yes , they are probably available, and cheap!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I would always wreck the blanking plates, and replace. Much better than damaging the handle... like the monkeys at the body repair shop that fixed mine last time. They used screwdrivers to take them off, and made a right mess.
The dealer always cuts them up with a sharp knife, or uses the screw in the centre method, then puts in a new one (only v cheap) to ensure they don't ruin the handles.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Jason!
Have I understood it right that the small panel(containing the window/mirror switches) on the armrest, can be disassembled without having to disassemble the entire interior door panel?

Thanks in advance!

Vasse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts