Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i'll start at the top!
last night night the batt light came on and my lights got progressively dimmer, windows slow etc.
this morn i run the engine on the drive for an hour and no charge happening.
not knowing if it was a dud batt or alt i couldn't be bothered to mess around getting a tester etc
so as im a member of the brakedown service i thought well i've paid for it so im gonna use it!! :D
within two mins YES two mins the doorbell went and mr RAC was outside!! :D i said that was quick and he said yeah i only live the next road down :cheese:
anyway he told me its the alt and gave me a card for a really good auto electrician in ipswich.

now, im thinking to save some coin shall i do it myself and that leadsme to .........................
is it simple enough for me to fit or am i best to go to the garage?
i have fitted one before on a diff car no probs but not an alfa one

thanks

phil

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Hmmm firstly may I suggest you check that your PS pipes aren't leaking, I screwed the alternator because one of the pipes leaked and the fluid tracked down the outside of the pipe and dropped into the alternator :eek:

Secondly, no they're a bugger to change, you either go in top down, removing the inlet manifold or bottom up, and good luck finding the bolts let alone undoing them and removing the alt

That's my opinion anyway

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Congrats on the 500 posts :D

The alternator is a real pain in the posterior on a 16 valve twinny, If I recall correctly you have to remove the exhaust to get at it and the inner wheel arch liner to get it out via the wheel housing. You could of course remove the intake manifold, but I believe that means even more work :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks all.
to the garage it is then :cheese: :cheese: :rant:

haha thanks for the congrats i didn't even notice :cheese:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts