Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening All,

I have had some good news tonight. The clunky rattling noise in my car is nothing more than a worn out drop link :D Nice and cheap!

Now I have been quoted £30 + £15 for fitting and part. So £45 all in for 1 drop link replaced. The garage owner told me that I would most likely be able to do them easy enough my self.

The plan is to just spend near enough the same amount it would have cost at the garage on drop links and just do all 4 at the same time :)

Looking at the pictures I just need a set of alan keys and some spanners? Is it really that easy?

Jack

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Best bet is to have a mate to help!
I did mine Mr.Taylor and it took one of us to stand on a bar with a jack under the lower wishbone just to get the drop link to match the fixing hole, once you have it place you need someone to run the nut on it quickly while keeping the tension.
Relatively easy but it does to take 2 - A job for Mrs.Taylor perhaps?:thumbup::cheeky:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Best bet is to have a mate to help!
I did mine Mr.Taylor and it took one of us to stand on a bar with a jack under the lower wishbone just to get the drop link to match the fixing hole, once you have it place you need someone to run the nut on it quickly while keeping the tension.
Relatively easy but it does to take 2 - A job for Mrs.Taylor perhaps?:thumbup::cheeky:
Nice one mate :) good advice and haha I wish! I don't have a Mrs Taylor at the moment! :/ I'll have to give my mate a few beer tokens and get him to give me a hand :)

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Nice one mate :) good advice and haha I wish! I don't have a Mrs Taylor at the moment! :/ I'll have to give my mate a few beer tokens and get him to give me a hand :)
As long as you don't get him dressing up like Mrs.Taylor.......Lol

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice one mate
good advice and haha I wish! I don't have a Mrs Taylor at the moment! :/ I'll have to give my mate a few beer tokens and get him to give me a hand
As long as you don't get him dressing up like Mrs.Taylor.......Lol
Grinder with a thin cutting disc may be your best friend.
Sounds like dating advice!
This took a turn for the weird this did! Haha

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Glad to help!
you grinding, your mate taking the tension and a Jack under your wishbone - What a photo:biglaugh:

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I've never had an issue changing individual droplinks, but to prevent issues with tension in the opposing side either jack both sides and support them or undo the link on the 'good side', then replace the bad link, refit good link. The fitting issues can arise from the natural torsion within the bar.

Reactions: Chipmik

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yep - that's the idea. You can buy long bars specifically to hook onto, and force down/up the anti-roll bar into place - so far, in 30yrs of playing amateur mechanic, I can't see the need.

One of my rears was clonking away despite being reasonably new by the appearance - done by/for the previous owner. Despite the fact it was moving around, and elongating the mounting hole, the nut was rusted/seized on well enough that the socket for the allen key rounded off before I got the nut undo - the aforemention thin slitting disc in a grinder sorted that.

Used a Nordlock washer on fitting the new one to make sure it stayed put! So far, a year, it has.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Changed both front drop links this weekend to Meyle HD ones.
Not easy to get the old ones of for sure. Only way was to carefully grind them of with an small angle grinder.
Not much room for access thouh.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Changed both front drop links this weekend to Meyle HD ones.
Not easy to get the old ones of for sure. Only way was to carefully grind them of with an small angle grinder.
Not much room for access thouh.

Why did you need to grind them off?....Ive never had to do that. Where they that badly rusted in place?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Why did you need to grind them off?....Ive never had to do that. Where they that badly rusted in place?
Nuts was impossible to get loose. Had them soaked in penetrating fluid overnight.
Even heated them with a small gas torch - no luck.
When the allen counter then gets overturned by brute force, the only way left was rhe grinder.
Anyway, job is done now. Next weekend the rears.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I'd recommend changing them in pairs. Makes the job easier and you can guarantee shortly after changing one the other will start knocking.

Sometimes they come off but if access allows its often easier to cut them or batter the ball joint off so you can hold the rear and stop it turning.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts