Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the radiator over the weekend and had to take the plastic under shield off. It wasn't hard, it was held on by just two screws and a zip-tie :shocked:

I haven't put it back on yet as I can't see where it should attach properly at the rear edge. I wonder if there is a bracket missing or something as there is nowhere for any screws to engage.

Does anyone have a picture/diagram that would help?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. I can't see anywhere for these to attach, though. Is the cross member detachable - I'm wondering if that is missing?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Is the cross member detachable - I'm wondering if that is missing?
Not without the wheels falling off! :)

I've just tried taking a photo but it isn't easy without the car lifted up.

Look at the suspension wishbone linking the base of the wheel hub to the car body. Where it attaches to the body is actually the crossmember. There are holes punched into the crossmember in various places. From memory, there are two fairly close together where the undertray rear mounts are. Those clips push onto one of the holes and the threaded part is then accessible in the other hole.

I'll try again to get a picture, but it probably means lifting the car a bit.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
OK, in the absence of a photo, have a look at this eBay auction -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Rom...357694&hash=item4675204254:g:MZUAAOSw7cJZx-SP

That's actually a 156 crossmember but it shows you in general terms what you're looking for.

Select the second photo in the gallery and magnify. It's the picture which has a very large hole right in the centre.

On the upper right hand side, there's a row of three dished holes and a plain hole ( not dished ) between the top and middle dished holes.

Right next to the undished hole, there's some ragged plastic and a bolt head. That's the remains of the undertray on that car!

On my car, the speeclip clips into the undished hole and the threaded part is then accessible in a smaller hole under that bolt head.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks PKR, thats very helpful. I will have another look under my car and also post a picture of the tray - its possible its not the correct part.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Whoops. I may have misled you. Just remembered the V6 has a different undertray. No idea how that is attached. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whoops. I may have misled you. Just remembered the V6 has a different undertray. No idea how that is attached. Sorry.
:biglaugh:

That's a relief, I was starting to worry about having major bits missing ...

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is the tray in question. I can see that the front edge is missing one or two of the metal clips, and that this front edge attaches under the front skirt/spoiler. I can't see where the rear would attach, though.

·
Registered
163 Posts
This is the tray in question. I can see that the front edge is missing one or two of the metal clips, and that this front edge attaches under the front skirt/spoiler. I can't see where the rear would attach, though.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/jL2yyB2.jpg[/img]

The rear attaches to the lower hole where the air box recess is. Sometimes misaligned when the bumper not fully on. The bolt to attach it to comes from the base of the air box metal frame hanger, and can fall off....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info., I'll have a look for a suitable bolt. That was where there was a zip-tie holding it when I took the tray off.

So the two holes at the rear edge don't do anything to hold it, then - drainage maybe?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks for the info., I'll have a look for a suitable bolt. That was where there was a zip-tie holding it when I took the tray off.

So the two holes at the rear edge don't do anything to hold it, then - drainage maybe?

Yes, they?re drainage holes. The zip tie sounds familiar, just put a bolt through that hole with a nylok nut on the end, and use that to go through the hole in the under tray... Alignment can be a little tricky...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts