·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah... a lot to be said for the "devil you know"

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How the idiot can say something like that which flies in the face of everything he has done while in govt. :rolleyes: Everything has been 'quick-fix' like league tables for hospitals and schools and punishments rather than help for failing services, which have infact driven down standards. And as for the 'Public/Private partnership' initiative, why not sell your granny to the private sector to make a quick buck rather than have a coherent longterm strategy? What a useless, self-serving (legacy, my arse!) pillock! My God, how the dream has gone sour, rue the day that John Smith died, now he would have been a statesman with a bit of stature.
The govt has turned into a benefit club for itself while they shaft everyone's pensions and give themselves huge payrises. I cannot tell you how angry it makes me! :mad:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whilst I do agree with these sentiments (and I really do), opening it out to a macro level rather than directing this to anyone on here, one thing that does frustrate me about this country is that we're very good at criticising politicians but very bad at doing anything about it.

For example, if politicians are "bad" and "we" are good, then "everyday" people would surely be able to stand for local, then regional and finally national office and the good people of these Isles would vote them in at every stage. Never happens.

Instead, we prefer an adversarial system where we dislike what we perceive to be only two choices (Labour and the Conservatives) yet ignore all other possibilities and continue to vote them in and then moan about it!

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Voting should be COMPULSORY in this country, we are a democracy and everyone should do their bit. Arses off seats! However, the important bit is that one box on the ballot paper should be 'abstein' so that all the disaffected voters could tell the politicians what they think of them. Then maybe, there would be a debate in this country about what really matters to people.
Unfortunately, it seems that people going into politics and making it to the top are not doing it for altruistic reasons these days, it's seen as a lucrative career with a bullet proof pension and well above inflation pay rises.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Whilst I do agree with these sentiments (and I really do), opening it out to a macro level rather than directing this to anyone on here, one thing that does frustrate me about this country is that we're very good at criticising politicians but very bad at doing anything about it.

For example, if politicians are "bad" and "we" are good, then "everyday" people would surely be able to stand for local, then regional and finally national office and the good people of these Isles would vote them in at every stage. Never happens.

Instead, we prefer an adversarial system where we dislike what we perceive to be only two choices (Labour and the Conservatives) yet ignore all other possibilities and continue to vote them in and then moan about it!
What He Said !! :(

·
Registered
37,149 Posts
I agree, there is no way Gordon will be PM on my Vote.
The economy may look in good shape on the surface, but this is just an illusion created By Gordon to cover up the reality of spirally Debt, a manufactuiring industry that is Dying, a heath service that is crumbling, public debt that is growing, house prices out of control... I could go on....

And yes voting should be compulsory in certain elections.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if you would of said that a few years ago i would of said absolutely...im not so sure now...

·
Registered
154 Posts
mike sorry maybe a bit harsh , its just all the lib dems did here was put flipping speed bumps all over the place !!!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lmao !! good one :)

you were jokimg ?? right ???
This is my point, though. Not having a go at you directly, but if we don't like Labour and we don't like the Conservatives, who else is there? On what basis are the Liberal Democrats so much worse than the current regime, and on what basis is the current Conservative party better? :confused:

After all, between them Labour and the Conservatives have run this country since the 1920's and no-one seems too happy with where we've got to! ;)

I think it's time for a change - not just of government but for both the "main" parties to get a shock. It's like a game of tennis at the moment, with one passing the ball to the other whilst we watch and tut from time to time!

Time to set aside old prejudices and take stock for a new century, IMHO. :)

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't know who would be worse as PM, Gordon Brown or Sir Mingin' Campbell.

On a more pertinent note, I love your new avatar MikeBrown! :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts