Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I’ve just bought my first 147. It’s a red 2001 2.0 TS Lusso with 33,000 miles on the clock.
I stand for ages just looking at it, its beautiful.
The only problem is I don’t have a user manual at the moment and just having outgrown my Mk1 XR2, all these gadgets are baffling me.

To cut a long story short, how do you turn off the climate control. I’ve turned it up down, pressed every switch and the fan is still blowing??:confused:

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Try turning the centre dial counter clockwise until the reading says 'off' :)

...and congrats on becoming an Alfa Owner :D

·
Administrator
46,143 Posts
Yep, it's not obvious just looking at them, is it? The silver surround to each readout is a jog-dial, twist the middle one anti-clockwise and you should be able to turn the fan down, and off.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I remember spending days trying to figure out how it worked in the GT...it was all so simple in my old 156:lol:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel an idiot now, How easy is that!
I could have sworn I had turned the middle dial as far as it would go.

Thanks for your help. I'm sure there will be lots more questions.

Thanks again,
Paul

·
Administrator
23,076 Posts
I feel an idiot now, How easy is that!
I could have sworn I had turned the middle dial as far as it would go.

Thanks for your help. I'm sure there will be lots more questions.

Thanks again,
Paul

Don't worry about it - the climate control is the most complicated bit of the car.

We've had the 147 for 5 years and still don't know how it works - too boring to read and, even when I have made the effort, there is too much too remember for any length of time. The GTV controls on the other hand are blindingly obvious.

(Good name btw).

Paul.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Worth remembering that when you do turn it off, paulsco, it automatically switches to recirculated air, so if you want fresh air to come in whilst it's all off, then you'll need to press the centre button in the RH dial to turn recirc off.

N

·
0 Posts
Yeah Alfa Airconn seems to have a mind of it's own.

The 147's even used to "reset" itself every morning
to what it thought was required, not what I'd
set it to the night before. :mad:

:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
The permanent nest for the Alfa electrical Gremlins is in the Aircon system. They just occasionally visit other areas of the car on holiday! :D

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
The permanent nest for the Alfa electrical Gremlins is in the Aircon system. They just occasionally visit other areas of the car on holiday! :D
:cheese:

I do agree though, the climate control on the newer Alfas is anightmare to fathom....I still dont fully understand what the hell it ( or I ) am doing half the time and the manual just ends up confusing me even more every time I read it:eek:

·
Administrator
46,143 Posts
I think the aircon control system is excellent to be honest. It's not at all obvious how it works from just looking at it, but once you know the controls, it's very intuitive.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
It takes a while to understand the idoscyncracies of it but I think I nailed the perfect setting for winter driving.

Leave it on mono at 20.5 C with 2 bars on the fan speed and the windscreen and feet selected with no aircon running and no air recirculation.

I've found the VERY WORST thing you can do is try to play with the controls whilst it's running, get it set at something comfortable and leave the bloody thing alone.

Climate control is all about maintaining a temperature and 'dew point' the dew point is the key thing here as it's this that dictates if your windows get steamed up of not. If your playing with the dials then the system keeps having to reconfigure itself to try to maintain the temperature and dew point based on it's programming and the sensors in (and outside) the car.

Aircon is just a fridge compressor with a switch and a fan attached to it which is why it's almost an instant change and easy to set to a comfortable temp.

See this for more details.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=define:+dew+point&spell=1

It's why the climate control system is so much more sensitive than aircon.

N

·
0 Posts
:cheese:

I do agree though, the climate control on the newer Alfas is anightmare to fathom...

The Brera/159 is actually very good. Functionally
it's not too different than the 147 one, but
it is soooo better at quickly heating up or cooling
down.

Full-Auto actual seems to work quite well.
Just set the temp and off it goes. :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
cant be that much better surely, i turn the heater on in my 147 and as long as its not first thing on a cold morning its instant heat and the AC is instant cool.

N

·
0 Posts
cant be that much better surely, i turn the heater on in my 147 and as long as its not first thing on a cold morning its instant heat and the AC is instant cool.
Is it a JTD? That'd explain the quick heat up.

But I can assure you a 147 with a black interior
(that's been sitting in a carpark in 35 degC sunshine)
will not blow cold instantly or chill quickly.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Do you have Air Conditioning or Climate Control? There's a rather large difference to how they work.

Is it a JTD? That'd explain the quick heat up.

But I can assure you a 147 with a black interior
(that's been sitting in a carpark in 35 degC sunshine)
will not blow cold instantly or chill quickly.
Maybe black wasn't the best choice of colour :(

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
It takes a while to understand the idoscyncracies of it but I think I nailed the perfect setting for winter driving.

Leave it on mono at 20.5 C with 2 bars on the fan speed and the windscreen and feet selected with no aircon running and no air recirculation.

I've found the VERY WORST thing you can do is try to play with the controls whilst it's running, get it set at something comfortable and leave the bloody thing alone.

Climate control is all about maintaining a temperature and 'dew point' the dew point is the key thing here as it's this that dictates if your windows get steamed up of not. If your playing with the dials then the system keeps having to reconfigure itself to try to maintain the temperature and dew point based on it's programming and the sensors in (and outside) the car.

Aircon is just a fridge compressor with a switch and a fan attached to it which is why it's almost an instant change and easy to set to a comfortable temp.

See this for more details.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=define:+dew+point&spell=1

It's why the climate control system is so much more sensitive than aircon.
There ya go, straight out of the confusing things to say when trying to understand how the AC/climate control works !:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts