Alfa Romeo Forum banner

How do you listen to your iPod in the car?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are lots of threads debating the pros and cons of the various options for using an iPod in the car. I just wondered which was the most popular?

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
blue +47 me after all the effort

·
Registered
2 Posts
I jsut bought a new stereo with SD/MMC card slot plus USB port so im using usb mem stick plus 1 gig sd card.

Works a treat and runs smooth,

Nad

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I dont own an i-pod ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
AUX in works fine and I also have an iTrip which is uselless when traveling distances as the set frequency gets hyjacked by local radio. Don't even bother using one in Italy.

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got an iTrip but only used it in the last car I had. Unfortunately the frequency range was rubbish on the headunit and I could never get two consecutive noise-free frequencies to use it on.

If any one wants to try it they can have it FOC. Drop me a PM and i'll stick it in the post. I don't think the connections work with the nano. I used it on a Click-wheel iPod.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I've got a head unit with the holy grail – a 3.5mm aux in on the front. I think there must be an agreement between all the manufacturers not to put these in so they can make money out of all the expensive attachment jobbies. It was only available for about 6 months before being discontinued.

N

·
0 Posts
The problem with iTrip devices is that the
radio antenna is outside the car.
They aren't powerful enough to get good
reception from the inside of the car. :rolleyes:

The only way they would work really well
is if you could wire them into the back of the
radio. ;)

N

·
0 Posts
badgers_nadgers said:
I've got a head unit with the holy grail – a 3.5mm aux in on the front.

Scooby Legacies used to have those fitted
as standard about 15 years ago to plug
CD walkmans into them.

(I think they were Panasonic.)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
About 3 years ago, before everyone thought about this whole Ipod and car thing, I had a simple but effective solution.

At the time I was driving a miserable old 1989 toyota carina II 1.6 carb. It was on its last legs but still going. I changed the factory stereo with an ancient pioneer 989 that had no speaker outputs, only preouts.

One day a stroke of genius hit me, and I butchered the hands free for my phone, put two phono leads where the headphones were, and I added a better mic and put it in a good location. Now I could play music from my phone which could play mp3's through my car speakers, and it was also fully intergrated with my phone's car kit.

I'm sure it only cost me about a fiver to do as well.

I had ipod in the volvo 850 I had a year later, but ipod went with the car, and never bothered afterwards. MP3 cd's, or even a 6cd changer full of normal cds is enough for me, cos I can never think of what I want to listen to.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I have an MP3 player, but don't use it in the car, and don't own an iPod. Just burn my own compilations onto CD for the car. I know, I know....wot a neanderthal!

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
147virgin said:
I have an MP3 player, but don't use it in the car, and don't own an iPod. Just burn my own compilations onto CD for the car. I know, I know....wot a neanderthal!
I started to do that when I bought the car but ended up with CDs all over the place. I also get bored of a single CD fairly easily so regularly burning new CD compilations gets expensive.

The alternative would have been to get a CD changer installed. But then why spend that much to only be able to play 10 disks when I could slightly less money and have a choice of 1800 songs and not lose any boot space either!

iPod link was the solution. :)

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Does make good sense admittedly, but I just grudge paying over the odds for something with the apple brand on it. My MP3 player is another well known brand with a lesser price tag but it does different formats as well as MP3, and I can watch movies on it too. . .
. . .ok I'll shut up now as I'm beginning to sound like the stereotypical stingy Scot!:eek: :lol:

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
My cd-changer in the boot is on it's last legs I'm beginning to look into replacing it, but I don't know what with yet.

It'll have to be some kind of MP3 player and link, but I dunno what, I really don't like Ipods but they're the only ones to have any kind of proper link to the head unit with the Dension setup.

·
Premium Member
2,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
147virgin said:
Does make good sense admittedly, but I just grudge paying over the odds for something with the apple brand on it. My MP3 player is another well known brand with a lesser price tag but it does different formats as well as MP3, and I can watch movies on it too. . .
. . .ok I'll shut up now as I'm beginning to sound like the stereotypical stingy Scot!:eek: :lol:

I don't like paying over the odds for anything, Apple branded or otherwise. However, as I am an Apple devotee I have no choice but to continue to give in to the calling of good product design :rolleyes:.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts