Alfa Romeo Forum banner

How do you prefer work done on your Alfa?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you have to get work done to the car, be it servicing, upgrading, whatever............

Do you like to do the work to the car yourself?

just pay someone (garagae) to do it?

you do the work yourself to save money, but wish you didn't have to?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Haven't had mine long enough yet to need anything done but will probably do simpler things myself to save money but anything a bit complicated will go to a garage

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I prefer to do the work on it as much as possible ... but I know my limitations ... :)

G

·
Other .... I'd love to do more

Trouble is you need a computer to tell what's wrong with it and then it's all electrics and sensors when it does go wrong.

And to stop it depreciating like a stone you need a stamp in the book every service, it's no good changing the oil and filters myself and writing my own name in the service book

G

·
Pay a garage - whenever I try to fix something I break several other items in the process and don't fix the original problem either.

G

·
Well before I used to just pay people to do whatever for me, but now with this project 156 I want to try and learn as much as I can. Whether it be cosmetic or mechanical. Fitting that bloody leather was mental, :lol:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
I do it all myself. I did have a matey machanic to do all the heavy duty stuff (gearboxes) and electronics but he hurt himself (electric shock and then a gearbox fell on him :D ) to he's given that up now.. :(

Ralf S.

·
Registered
38,044 Posts
Garage - no way I could do anything technical on the 156. i even had to get a neighbour to help swap a horn once!

·
Administrator
47,287 Posts
I do what I can, but I know my limitations, and they're pretty damn low.
I fitted the stereo myself, created a switched live USB connection behind the dash for the Tom Tom, that kind of thing.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I normally take it to the garage, although little things I'll do myself...

·
Registered
181 Posts
I like to do little repairs but i know a guy that has done a few bigger repairs for me at a reasonable price, so DIY as much as possible!

·
Vendor
46,723 Posts
Did a fairly big repair myself (took 5 weeks), including all bumper off, headlights outs, radiator and fan assembly out etc, but I had a lot of help from my grandad, who stopped being a mechanic sometime in the seventies! :lol:

I normally do brakes myself, not done an oil change on the V6 yet, and little things I do. Re-fitted my own sideskirts, I enjoy messing around with the air intake.. But I wouldn't touch anything big. I don't fancy trying to fit my own shocks and springs when I come to replace these coilovers. I could maybe do it, but I really don't fancy it. I'll probably pay for someone else to do it.

Would never do a clutch or cambelt myself on the V6.

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
My Dad and I avoid garages at all costs so all work is done at home :) Its become a great hobby but you can love and hate it. Love the results and the money saving but hate the difficulty of some of the jobs.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Normally I get a mechanic to do the oily stuff but I am quite proud to say I change any headlight bulbs that go on the blink and I've changed the front badge myself.

Today I'm going to try to replace the rear badge and change the front fog that Geordie Cabbie kindly sold me at an excellent price :thumbs:

I'm not sure if this is wise or not but I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
39,284 Posts
I try and do everything that I can. Without a Garage to work in things can become difficult though, especially with the weather we have here.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Depends on what it is, oddly I fit the strut brace recently myself, however I'd ALWAYS pay someone else to change the bulbs on the car, what a fecking faff. :(

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I take a pride and pleasure in working on my own car, sometimes I do take cars to a garage, but only when I can't do it myself, usually because I don't have the tack.... Like a cambelt on a V6 - Even with the tack I don't fancy that one...Plus if it goes wrong.:cry:

So far I have changed bulbs, oil (but couldn't get the filter off) fitted a st/st exhaust, Maf, power steering pipes, removed the towbar that offended my sense of aesthetic, pollen filter, radiator and messed around with the induction pipes.
I have on previous cars rebuilt the heads and fitted a new camshaft on my Vette, fitted 6 spitfire engines, including a strip and rebuild the last time, to the same car, swapped my Manta 2.0 to a 1.6, rebuilt the 2.0, fitted a Weber carb, and re fitted the engine, oh and resprayed same twice, both times badly:p
Lots and lots of welding, sills wings floorpans:eek:
Swapped engines in an old Chevette, done a clutch on my own in the drive on a Frontera, heater matrix in my Punto, cambelt in the punto, a few assorted starter motors, lots of radiators, brake rebuilds, brake lines, power steering pumps....
My old man was a mechanic, and from age 13 I worked with him a lot at the Garage where he worked, In my first summer holiday working there I swapped, under heavy supervision a Dolomite engine, so I've done a bit:cheese:

G

·
Other: I flutter my eyelashes and Mr PG usually helps out :D

I always start the job and sometimes I can finish it - I always think it's better for morale if Mr PG can rescue his damsel in distress now and again :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts