Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of advice needed. My car appears to be on the original factory battery. Black and with no branding at all. Just a multi language symbol based warning label on the top.

It still works, but it's rest voltage is barely over 12v. I've checked it at 12.1 and 12.2v That said, it turns the engine , the engine fires and the alternator kicks out 14.5 ish Volts.

At the weekend I hooked the battery up to my ancient 8 amp Halfords automatic charger and gave it a good charge. It showed a charge level of <20% on connection. After 18 hours the charger said the battery was 80 % charged. It won't go any higher. Showed the rest voltage of 12.7v 30 mins after disconnection.

Is this a sign the battery is dying and needs replacing?

As it is used for work, I can't really be having it die mid-winter.

The car throws no warning lights or errors, and runs perfectly well.

I think I benefit because this engine fires pretty much instantly on the key.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Wouldn't worry too much until you start getting random electronic glitches but that is a long time for an oem battery so you could change it

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Winter sorts out batteries, I would take the opportunity to replace it. The tendency these days if for them to fail suddenly.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Winter sorts out batteries, I would take the opportunity to replace it. The tendency these days if for them to fail suddenly.
+1. Its not the strongest it could be, and if it is original its on borrowed time. For the sake of a few quid, change it on a dry, sunnyish day at your leisure, rather than in the dark,the pouring down freezing rain, which of course it will be doing, when it fails.....

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
You can make the most of some garages deals for a free battery test. Or you can load the battery with lights etc. for a min or two (not sure on the time). turn all loads off and start the car.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
+1. Its not the strongest it could be, and if it is original its on borrowed time. For the sake of a few quid, change it on a dry, sunnyish day at your leisure, rather than in the dark,the pouring down freezing rain, which of course it will be doing, when it fails.....
+2

You might get lucky and have it go like mine did. The signs were when starting from cold and driving off when changing gear and the revs dropping the battery light would momentarily come one.

However, if you get a sudden really cold morning you may get what my boyfriend had with his 156 diesel and find it is completely dead one morning even though it was fine the night before and will not start.

Worth spending the money and not taking a chance IMHO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts