Alfa Romeo Forum banner

How do you get a perfect seal on brake line connections?

G
2687 5
How do you get a perfect seal on brake line joins? I'll need to open my braking system to fit new calipers sometime soon, and the joining procedure is the only bit I've not done before! Any pointers on how to join brake lines? Rough torque guides? As in nip up gently, yank tight like an ape(my setting for brake slipper carrier bolts)
Any advice gladly received.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
you are referring to the 'banjo' connections? Just make sure that the copper rings are clean, same for the surfaces they will be in contact with. Snug them up well but not over tight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice one, is there any benefit from wrapping a little ptfe tape around the threads of brake pipes before tightening like you would with house water pipes?

· Registered
5,759 Posts
Nice one, is there any benefit from wrapping a little ptfe tape around the threads of brake pipes before tightening like you would with house water pipes?
Don't put anything on the threads at all. It doesnt need it and could block or contaminate the hydraulic system. Assuming that the pipes are not siezed with age or corrosion, take a a look at the joint before you undo it and note roughly how far out the nut is. Then undo it and retighten it to the same position. You will soon get a feel for how tight it should be.
Be aware that overtightening can cause problems with pipes and nuts splitting and difficulty in undoing in future.
Only a very rough guide I know but better than nothing (practice makes perfect :))

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.