Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start the car the a light which could
be ABS comes on and goes off.

How can I tell if my car has ABS ?

And I have no intentions of trying any death defying stunts to prove either way.

Thanks,
Ger.

:D

·
Registered
177 Posts
If the red warning light that is lighten shows a "sliding car" symbol then you probably have ABS. Otherwise you can open the bonnet and look for the brake fluid tubes, just in front of the windscreen at drivers side and you see if the brake unit, from which they comes, is marked ABS or not. And a final check could be to look at at a hub and see wheter a sensor is connected or not. No wireing, no ABS.

That's it.

/A. Möller

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the usual way of finding out if you've got ABS is if you've got discs all round.

The other thing i've noticed from changing the disks is that the driveshaft at the disk end has special machining on it (almost like a cog) these I can only assume work in conjunction with the sensor you'll probably find next to it.

Hope this helps :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hehehe, there is no need to try any "death defying stunts" to see if you have ABS. I've 'confirmed' mine, many many times already, and a few close shaves.

If you wanna make that you have it or just to make sure it works, all you have to do is to find a sandy road, or a cement-floored carpark. Just move at, say 40 to 60 kph, and just slam the brakes (but make sure the situation is safe to do so). With ABS you should hear the tyres 'screech - screech - screech' and you can actually hear and feel a grinding sensation on your brake pedal.

The ABS unit for my right-hand drive 155 is on the passenger's side of the car. It's the slightly goldish coloured metal box with 4 tubes coming out of it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sometimes, when you have only the issue that the ABS warning light lightens sometimes not there is only a bad function of the connectors ABS sensors. There is a very easy solution that might be possible. Take the connectors to the brakets, clean it with compressed air (to make it dry), thats all. Mostly it function.

Good luckk !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys.

Firstly, as suggested by /A. Möller.
I do have the red light with the 'sliding car' on it.

Secondly, as suggested by lespix.
I'm not so sure about discs all round being the definative way of recognising ABS, but I do have the cogs you mention.

Thirdly, as suggested by ARDTM155.
I don't need to go to the local underground car park to test this one out, as I have already noticed the 'slightly goldish coloured metal box with 4 tubes'. I was wondering what the hell it was for ? and now I know.

So 3 out of 3 must confirm that I do have ABS.

The reason behind this question (just in case you where wondering), is that I changed brake pads recently and bled the brake fluid. Only afterwards did I wonder should I have done it different if I had ABS. I had a search thru the Internet and so many people had so many different opinions on how to bleed brakes with ABS fitted, that I just went ahead anyway and it seems to have worked just fine.

So thanks again,
Ger.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't you all agree that it's a strange sensation when you use the ABS for the first time. I had a mk1 MR2 which I could lock up at will but the juddering on/off action did take me by surprise both on ice last winter and also as I braked as I passed over a wet iron gutter cover which runs across a road heading into Uxbridge. Don't panic when it goes into operation if you've never experienced it before!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your car has ABS if it ever kicks in you will notice a gravelly uncomfortable sensation under your foot as the brake pedal moves as the brake pressure is released. This hardly ever happens on an Alfa
155 Ive only ever noticed it when theres been a touch of ice at my road end as the brakes are well balanced and most of the time the wide tyres help grip so the car can brake very hard before it needs ABS. I had a Cavelier with ABS and the ABS was always activating. Car had drums on the back and even under moderatly high levels of braking
you would get the ABS foot sensation as the front started to locked up before tha back brakes started braking.
I have driven various cars with and without ABS and have noticed that with all ABS cars when reversing back off a drive way whilst covering the brake pedal as the car bumps slowly down the curb that the brake pedal bumps up and down as if under ABS braking. The ABS system seems to get confused for a second or so if the car is freewheeling backwards. Has anyone else noticed this? Why does it happen?

·
Premium Member
Tesla Model S
8,046 Posts
I know its a bit late now (Because its been established that you do have it!) On start up if you pull away very slow you will here a noise similar to what you would expect from a fuel pump, coming from the front left of your car. It was that easy The pump noise lasts for approx 1.5 seconds as it pressurises the ABS block.

Better late than never!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Graham, that sensation when backing off from the driveway is because, just for a moment the wheel is not in contact with the surface, therefore there is nothing to stop the brake locking the wheel (normally the motion of the car pulls the wheel against the action of the brake). The ABS sensors sense that the wheel has ceased to move and because the brake pedal is being pressed they believe the wheel to have been locked by the caliper and so the ABS operates. I hope that makes sense?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Is the pump electric? I've noticed that when I pull away with my headlights switched on, they 'blink' about a second after I move off - every time! Could it be voltage drop due to ABS pump? In a moment of boredom, try it yourselves, reassure me that I'm not the only one with 'blinking' headlights!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts