Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Lads,

Its been a while since i replaced the alternator belt. Is there any guides on here to help me? Last time I did it I did the power steering belt as well so it was easy but this time the fan belt snapped so it has to be done seperatly but I cant figure out the best way to remove and replace the power steering belt and not have to be making a mess. Can I remove the power steering pump and belt easily without removing pipes and having to top up fluid and so on?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Hi,

You don't have to remove the whole power steering pump, just unbolt it's pulley
(three bolts with 10 mm heads) without loosening the power steering belt.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are those bolts facing the bulkhead or the radiator or both? I just had a quick look around it and any bolts there are seem to be hard to get at due to coolant and other pipes in the way!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
All three bolts of the pump's pulley are facing to the radiator.
I admit there's not too much space there, but that's how i
done the belt replacement a few times.

In the attached pictures you can see how the bolts can be accessed.
You can also push the car in 5th gear in order to have better access.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeh i did as above but now i just cant get the pulley lined back up to insert the screws, its like there isnt enough slack, any suggestions?

K

·
0 Posts
try putting 2 studs into the pump, then slide the pulley over them. you can then insert one bolt and then remove one stud to insert another bolt and so on..:thumbs:

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All sorted, another question. There is one serious stink of petrol fumes outside and inside the car, its worse outside but it really is strong. Where do I even start to try and find the source? Is it a leaky exhaust or what? Or given its been sitting up for about a year will it go away with regular driving?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I think petrol fumes aren't normal, especially inside of the car.
If there are no signs of fuel leaks under the car, check the engine
bay, around the fuel pressure damper, and the fuel pressure regulator,
and the fuel distributor hoses of the injectors (under the intake manifold).
In some cases the petrol is drips on the top of the crankcase and fills the
grooves.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a mooch around the engine and bay this evening and the smell doesnt really exist in there and I cant see any evidence of any leaks, its all definately coming from the exhaust pipe at the rear, its just very strong, thats what im concerned about, I know older cars tend to smell of fuel but its quite strong.
While running there is always a little gathering of inburnt fuel at the li of the pipe and on the ground you can see a tiny puddle of it forming, isthat what im smelling?

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
While running there is always a little gathering of inburnt fuel at the li of the pipe and on the ground you can see a tiny puddle of it forming, isthat what im smelling?
Are you sure that is not just water with an overly rich mixture (smelling in the fumes)?

The boxers are very wet engines and will expel drops of water from the back - and usually when they are healthy.

I can't ever imagine fuel coming out of the manifold without igniting (backfiring).

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
An exhaust gas analyzer could anwser the mixture question immediately.

Of course there are other signs of rich mixture, e.g.: high/excessive
fuel consumption and dark coloured spark plug electrodes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts