Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My drivers side wingmirror has packed up a bit. The folding function only half works, my guess is somethings blocking it. Now I've read if you get the glass out you can undo the clips to get the cover off.

So how do you get the glass out without breaking it?

Ta

Karl_T

·
Registered
179 Posts
It's only stuck on with double-sided sticky foam pads. Lever gently and it should come out - will probably help if you can warm it up with a hairdryer or similar.

..or see if you can hook some dental floss behind it and "saw" it off.

·
Registered
716 Posts
WTF are you on about guiness? :\

Tilt the mirror down as much as possible and stick a flat head behind the mirror glass at the top

VERY GENTLY pry the glass away from the mirror body, only real tip i can give here is by getting the screwdriver towards the centre of the glass as possible. And by centre i mean vertically and horizontally

Unfortunately cracked one side when i changed my mirror caps today but the second one was fine that i did a bit more gently

·
Registered
119 Posts
Count yourself lucky you have to prize it off... :)

The sticky on my sticky tape gave up and the mirror almost fell on, mostly being retained by the wires on it for the heating I guess. Anyway, I just put more double-sided tape on and its back in place fine now.

Anyway, just to confirm that Guinness is correct, it is only held in place with double sided tape.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
....it's NOT held on with double sided tape, it's held in with a plastic clip as stated above, I use a sucker to pull them straight off.

The clip is held to the glass with double sided tape, but this is supposed to be permanent, the replacement glass comes assembled with the plastic clip already fitted.

·
Registered
119 Posts
....it's NOT held on with double sided tape, it's held in with a plastic clip as stated above, I use a sucker to pull them straight off.

The clip is held to the glass with double sided tape, but this is supposed to be permanent, the replacement glass comes assembled with the plastic clip already fitted.
That's an awfully big "clip" by my understanding of the word :) I think of a clip as something small and simple, like a paper clip. The thing my mirror is stuck to with double-sided tape is a complex, large piece of plastic, about the size of the palm of my hand i.e. just a tad smaller than the actual glass. Is this what you mean by a "clip"?

In that case, my glass came loose from the "clip", to which it was stuck with double sided sticky tape. I had the same symptoms as Benzina 159, my glass was wobbling like mad. This was because it had come off the "clip", I just replace the double sided sticky tape and the wobbles were gone.

·
Registered
291 Posts
That's an awfully big "clip" by my understanding of the word :) I think of a clip as something small and simple, like a paper clip. The thing my mirror is stuck to with double-sided tape is a complex, large piece of plastic, about the size of the palm of my hand i.e. just a tad smaller than the actual glass. Is this what you mean by a "clip"?

In that case, my glass came loose from the "clip", to which it was stuck with double sided sticky tape. I had the same symptoms as Benzina 159, my glass was wobbling like mad. This was because it had come off the "clip", I just replace the double sided sticky tape and the wobbles were gone.
Yes, that is the big clip. My glass also played and I glued it back to the clip with the super glue. I did not remove the glass, only pushed it away from the clip to be able to put glue on the clip.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers all. Will give that a go a)when the weather warms up, and b) when I'm feeling braver.

Karl_T

·
Registered
12 Posts
I prized mine off with a putty knife. i tilted the mirror down and slid the knife in behind with a tea towel over the plastic cover to protect the finish on the mirror housing.

159 JTDM 58 plate

·
Registered
119 Posts
After 2 years and twice repairing it with double sided sticky tape, I think I'll give super glue a go next time and see if it last longer. Need to get it right though or the wing mirror won't move in its casing for the adjustment...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just bought the N/S for my SW as the silver on the mirror was liffting. They are £30 and not a lot to them.
Another Main Stealer rip off !
Don't know about the Ebay ones for half the price some may be fine but could cost more than the stealer price to find out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts