Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to fit a pair of 17CM speakers into the back parcel shelf spaces on my 166. Fitted a pair of Pioneers OK, ran the cables up to the front end, but after removing the trim around the gear lever, I cann't see any other fixings holding the ICS in place.

I don't want to just give it a tug, unless someone can confirm that, as I'd assume were taking about serious ££££ to relpace it!!!!

I thought that I would be clever and tap the speaker feeds to the rear doors, but Alfa have done a fine job of concealing the wiring...

Thanks
AC

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
there's 2 catches you need to press in with a small screwdriver once you take the black plastic surround off....i couldn't for the life of me get the drivers side one and gave up, but in theory thats how you do it!

Good luck though and let us know how you get on and if the extra speakers make a difference :D

Cheers
Niall

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Naill,

Thanks for the advice.

Having just spent an hour tring to find the drivers side clip I've also given up :mad:

The ICS would not budge more than half an inch, but is deffo being held back by a clip or something on the drivers side of the console.....

Think its back to plan A and try and intercept the rear door speaker feeds some where around the base of the B post (if I'm lucky)

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
i'm glad it isn't just me that was beaten by the ICS - it was most frustrating to say the least! Will be interesting to hear how you get on finding the feed at the B post.....

Cheers
Niall

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Did you take the bottom trip off & undo the screws?

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
I'm sure i did, although i can't remember exactly what i tried but i was following the instructions on the manual CD. It definitely seemed to be the drivers side clip that i couldn't locate to release it :rolleyes:

Cheers
Niall

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AC's166 said:
Naill,

Thanks for the advice.

Having just spent an hour tring to find the drivers side clip I've also given up :mad:

The ICS would not budge more than half an inch, but is deffo being held back by a clip or something on the drivers side of the console.....

Think its back to plan A and try and intercept the rear door speaker feeds some where around the base of the B post (if I'm lucky)
Hi

Far be it for me to tell you to abuse the car, however I do remember taking "Beatrice" to the local Alfa dealer when I first got it to sort out a Nav problem. The mechanic removed the Ics in seconds. He said that there is a knack to it and after undoing the bottom screws used two flat screwdrivers to prize out the clips both at the same time. As other wise they bend and will not come out. The other thing is I seem to remember him using a bit of force. Please dont do that on my say so though.
The other thing that usually gets knackerd when you do this is the chrome strip betwen the ics unit and the shifter unit.
I have a brand new spare if you find this. Let me know if you need it, its collecting dust in the kitchen drawer !!!

Not sure if this will help but the clips do tend to bend sideways if they are not removed at the same time. So maybe push them both back and try again.
Steve.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Last week I withnessed the un-mounting of my ICS, by an Alfa-mecanic.
He did the job in +/- 30 minutes + many curses. The most time consuming part was, indeed, the springs.

These side clips are a kind of small leave springs. When you unmount the black plastic surround (like niallmoran says) they are hidden behind the upper plastic surrounding, which you did not remove. I even could not see them with a torch. It is a trick ( you have to feel it) to press them with a small screwdriver, towards the ICS. While doing that, you have to try to move the ICS back and forth. If it moves a bit, the spring is pressed in (already @ 1 side) . Now the other one.

Attention : when you take the ICS out , know that the cables are too short :cheese: to take it out completely.
Then, be careful with the noumeours connectors. They all have a kind of clips, which you have to press in, before removing . Especially the one @ the bottom, which is mounted upside down :mad: : the clips is not easy to reach (do it with a screwdriver) .

Last but not least : when my ICS was unmounted, 1 spring broke off. Acc. to the mecanic, no big deal, since the ICS body is really fitting very precisely into the holder.

That's it, it theory :lol: Life is easy, isn't it ?

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
looks like i wasn't patient enough but i just couldn't locate the spring clip and the frustration meant that i was in real danger of breaking the whole thing!

Steve - you're quite right about the chrome strip as mine in mangled (kinda was already, probably from the mobile phone installation that's been removed). If the offer of you're spare one stands i'll happily take it off your hands - just let me know how much :D

Cheers
Niall

1 - 9 of 9 Posts