Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Any advice on the following?

I've had a Punto insured with me as the main driver and OH as named driver (she has zero no claims, I have 7 yrs) with Direct Line. Was fairly reasonable at the time!

I'm now 6 months into the policy and have bought an Alfa. The OH is getting the punto, which I am signing over to her, and I will have the Alfa.

I've just had a word with Direct Line who want over £1200 for the Alfa for a years premium, which I'd pay half of (6 months in) - however the cheapest I see online is about £650 - £700 for a full year. In terms of monthly payments, this is meaning like £95 - £100 when I could be spending £50. That's a lot at the moment!

Should I just stump it up for six months and put the Alfa onto my existing policy, or cancel it and take out a new policy but effectively lose a year's no claims?

If i'm honest I saw an increase in premiums last time I earned an extra years no claims so not sure how helpful it really is...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Right, sorted. I sacrificed a years no claims because I cancelled my Direct Line policy halfway through, but ended up with an Admiral one for the Alfa and the Punto on multicar for basically the same cost as Direct Line wanted for the Alfa on it's own...

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
a punto is far different to a alfa and some companies just like to insure cheap crap cars so they overprice the policy for decent stuff
allways pays to shop about...........i think u did the correct thing !

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Might give Admiral try. Did hear they don't do 'Category Repaired' vehicles. One of mine is. Worth a go next year perhaps.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can recommend them! Obviously not claimed with them so can't comment on that side of things, but the guy on the phone was really helpful and actually helped me get the quote down more by stating it was parked on the road rather than in a garage (more claims due to items falling on cars like paint tins in a garage at the moment apparently?)

I've also gone from a £900 excess on the Punto with DL to a £350 excess with Admiral.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts