Alfa Romeo Forum banner

how do i get at the crank pulley?

Tags
crank pulley
2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  iliasbass 
#1 ·
in a couple of weeks I'm planning on ordering in lightweight undersize crank pulley, and I'm wondering:

-where is it?
-how do i get at it?
-how hard is it to change?
-any special tools needed?

any answers would be great and any extra info too please :)

thanks,
Phil

#2 ·
remove the right front wheel, and the wheel arch lining. The lowest pulley you see is the crankshaft pulley.

Find the tensioner, remove the tension on the belt and remove the belt, then remove the pulley. You'll need a windy gun for the crankshaft nut, or a VERY long bar and someone to put his foot on the brakes...

#3 ·
If you are undoing just the part the drives the auxillary belt then it is held by 4 ribe bolts. You don't need to undo the cranshaft nut.

If you do undo the crankshaft nut you will need to change all the cambelt and associated tensioners as they will have lost tension.

A Torx T40 bit will undo the 4 Ribe bolts. :)

I am pretty sure these undersized crank pulleys have been discussed on here before if you try a search. ;)

I think the general consensus is you would be better spending the money on something else.

#10 ·
noted a few negative comments here...there doesnt seem to be any loss of torque at all on my car, 156 2.0 with same pulley fitted. if anything, i dont know whether it is psycological in any way, but my sele seems to shift that little bit quicker since i fitted mine. response is awesome, nothing negative to say about it.

rancido, make sure you get a shorter belt from the supplier, your original wont fit.

its easy to fit. remove wheel and arch liner, loosen but dont remove torx/ribe bolts, levering the belt tensioner to one side and moving the belt at the same time is the hardest bit of the job, same with getting it back on. remove belt and bolts. the old pulley may be "stuck", just hit it from underneath with a hammer a few times. rub rust off from where the old pulley sat, fit new one, make sure it sits flat, fit bolts and tighten, fit belt, start engine, grin like loony.

#12 ·
rancido, make sure you get a shorter belt from the supplier, your original wont fit.
yeah, I'm going to get the belt as well, totals at for belt & pulley€108 (i think it was..) delivered to my door

i can get one, if i go take the wheel off, just looks like another pulley! in fact, it looks exactly like the pics on this site.

156 lighten crank

this is the shop that sold me mine, admittedly mine was bought from them through ebay.
yeah, that's the place I'm aiming to get mine from

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.