Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just bought myself a new boot lock for my 156 as the old was was so faded. Can someone please give me step by step instructions on how to fit it. Or is there a link to a site where I could find such instructions??

M

·
0 Posts
can anyone help Karn out ?

in the meantime dude, have you tried using the search option up the top ?

mike

T

·
0 Posts
I haven't done this before but do you mean the whole boot lock or do you mean the rear badge covering the keyhole?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've bought the entire lock housing with swivel badge attached. I was going to change the lot but acording to what I've read here it's a right arse on so I'm just gonna change the badge. One clip and a spring I think. (Famous last words!!)

Was going to do it today but the weather has been crap so I've been inside all day. I'll let you ll know how i get on tomorrow when I've changed it.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mitch, I'll use the instructions you posted and I'll take a series of pictures as I go

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Hello there , its not an easy job -- possible but needs a lot of patience, if its the 156 boot your on , then there is a circlip on the end of the swivel shaft that goes through the lock and once you try and remove with the aid of a blade screwdriver and long nosed pliers the plastic washer will spring off and then the spring , the badge will pull out of the hole it swivels in .
Unfortunately the reverse is very much more difficult especially if you have hands like mine (LARGE).I eventually drilled the securit bolts with a large drill to take the heads off and the whole lock can the be replaced, while off , change over the barrel to suit your key and refit with some pan head screws of the right thread (m5 I think) and seal off the heads with some of that putty gluestick. By the way fit the swivel badge before you do this!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice Pat,

I had planned to just replace the badge and not the entire lock as the one on my 156 has faded to almost white. But after what you've said I'm thinking it might be easier to drill the bolts holding the lock and remove it in one. My hands are of the short & stumpy variety so knowing my luck I'll end up with bits all over my boot and on the drive.

I'm itching to get out and get started....... Hurry up morning!!!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the warning Pat, I'm going to be ultra carefull. I've had the car less than 2 weeks and I need it in the spray shop already due to Morrisons new carwash. The dryer came down and smashed into the rear spoiler taking a lump out of it. (In talks with them presently regarding compensation.) Then on Monday the girlfriend took it to work. By Tuesday morning there was a large scrape on the corner of the bumper. She said someone must have hit her in the supermarket carpark. Highly unlikely (unless someone round here is driving a brick wall) as there is a small shard of brick still embeded into the bumper!!!!!

End of the day it's a car and it can be fixed but needless to say I was a little miffed. However I heed your warning, should be ok though as I'm a joiner/kitchen fitter and cordless drills are my weapon of choice.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
When I did mine, after struggling for hours and lots of swearing i managed to get the little circlip back on. You have to careful you don`t drop the little sod into the boot and lose it!

One week later some little sod snapped it off so ever since then my boot badge has had no need of a circlip, it is araldite welded into place :rant:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok,

As it stands now I have drilled out the shere bolts that hold the entire lock and swivel bdge in place. I have removed the old lock and badge from the boot and am trying to get the cylinder out of the old lock housing so I can put it into my new badge/lock housing but I can't get it out, any ideas?????

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yay!!!!!!!!

Job done :) :) :) After removing the cover around the lock with a screwdriver I found a circlip that was holding the cylinder in place. I removed this and the cylinder slid straight out. It simply pushed into the new badge/lock housing. I rebolted to my boot, connected the lock bar and that was it. Works like a charm.

I took pictures as I did the job so if someone can tell me how to upload them I'll do a little "How To" as there are quite a few threads regarding to problems on this matter and it really was quite simple. :p

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Check out the pics on my profile to see how I did the job. Sort them into order by filename first using the tool at the bottom or they'll be all over the place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts