Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at possibly importing a year old car but am stumped at one query.

You can change the speedometer over from KPH to MPH but the display still records in kilometers?

One dealer told us that it neads the examiner system (mine doesn't appear to have that function) and other don't seem to know ( :rolleyes: ).

Anyone here done this and if so would you mind advising me how please. The car could be either 147/156 or 166 as I may bring 2 in.

Thanks for any help in advance
Nige
www.angeltuning.co.uk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yopu could choose a hypothetical car and year of manufacture and phone one of the "digital correction companies" that always advertise in Autotrader to see if they can do a striaght recalibration of the same unit so it reads in miles instead of km - as long as this is all documented I dont see a problem. Alternatively, maybe you could buy an instrument cluster from a late-model breakers and get it digitally set to the right mileage.

If they convert your speedo by just sticking a miles dial over the top of a km one it will never be 100% accurate (not that they are anyway!)

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
I thought that the digital odometers could be switched from one mode to another? At least by a dealer (or mileage correction place?).

Why do want a km/h car? Won't it also be LHD?

If it's LHD don't forget your lights will be pointing the wrong way and the foglamps/reversing lights will be back to front. Unless you're shipping in a South Africaz spec' jobbie?

Ralf S.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not a case of buying another unit - I can buy new units, but it still records in kilometers. I can reset the milage ( :tut: ) but I can't get the damn things to record in miles.

·
Registered
123 Posts
AlfaNige said:
Its not a case of buying another unit - I can buy new units, but it still records in kilometers.
Eh?! Why wont changing the unit from a km one to a miles one solve the problem?! The pulse sender will be the same - its usually the unit that interprets it.

AlfaNige said:
I can reset the milage ( :tut: ) but I can't get the damn things to record in miles.
I was saying that if you changed the unit or had it switched to miles then you could get the odometer properly set and documented to give the right reading (if you were buying a used car) ... there is nothing :tut: about this as I am not suggesting that you falsify the mileage :rolleyes:

This is assuming that there is no way to just switch automatically between the two - as I am sure you must have looked into this!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The :tut: was at me!!

I want to be able to do the change from KM to M myself but I canot find anyone who knows how to do it. :mad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
The :tut: was at me!!

I want to be able to do the change from KM to M myself but I canot find anyone who knows how to do it. :mad:

this part will sort your problem. The nidle will showw the same as before only the dials are converted

1 - 9 of 9 Posts