Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Alfa was a 156 mk2 which I loved everything about and moved to the 147 as I had heard that it handled and felt better and the interior was better but was sadly mistaken as the car is not close!

So how different is the GT to the 147? I am hoping for better than 147 build but what about handling, steering feel, gear changes etc as the 147 feels good compared to a Golf but for a GT style car it would be lacking....

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
Engine, suspension, transmission, interior, most of the parts is exactly the same. Steering feel is the same because it’s the same components, same power steering and the same weight on the front wheels. Gearshift is the same as it’s the same box, same gear linkage, same bushes.... Interior is the same except seats and gearshift lever trim so you might not even notice you switched the car :)

I drove GT only briefly, but the only differences I found is different (not better, not worse, just different) wind sound at speed due to different aerodynamic and probably the handling is closer to 156 due to different weight distribution and maybe more stable rear at high speed braking.

But if I had the choice, I would get the GT instead of 3door 147. You are getting the same car, but with a bigger boot and coupe looks.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
based on a 156 floorplan, suspension from both the 156 and 147.

lower slung, stiffer, inside wise, basically identicle, but i found it a much better drive, more precise:D:thumbs:

and i liked the stiffness, but then, thats just me:thumbs:

G

·
0 Posts
A 3.2 V6 GT is a different beast altogether :)

Then again so is a 147 GTA....d'oh!!!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
The cabin of the GT, while looking almost identical to the 147, feels slightly different due to the shape/angle of the pillars and the 'sportier' seats.

Having owned both, I loved my 147 but love my GT more. The 2 engines were worlds apart (1.6TS and 1.9JTD), so can't really compare them on that score-the GT is much more powerful but is less 'fun' around town.

E

·
0 Posts
I agree with CCOVICH completely.I went from a 1.6 147ts to a 2.0 GT jts and I wouldnt go back.Its very similar in lots of ways, in particular the interior but the road holding, power delivery etc are much superior.The road and wind noise are an issue but you expect that with pillarless doors.Go for the GT, you will not be dissapointed.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
The road and wind noise are an issue but you expect that with pillarless doors.
I don't get this bit, have neither with our beemer :confused:

·
Registered
834 Posts
GT = coupe style :cool:. But don't forget the 16V JTD in the 147 makes it very punchy; same engine as the GT but slightly quicker to 60 :thumbs:

E

·
0 Posts
I had very little wind noise with my 147 and a lot with the GT.I put it down to the pillarless doors,maybe Im wrong.

E

·
0 Posts
GT = coupe style :cool:. But don't forget the 16V JTD in the 147 makes it very punchy; same engine as the GT but slightly quicker to 60 :thumbs:
That would be the extra weight.Goes against you for punchyness but good to know when your stuck to the road doing 80mph plus.

·
Registered
7 Posts
GT all the way.:thumbs:
As someone said before most of the components are the same in both cars, but as for driving experience GT is better at least for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts