Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the post office today to tax my car but was embarrassed to find I've had the wrong insurance certificate since last December:eek: When I bought my car new last October, it replaced my written off 156 and due to the postal strike at the time the car went on new plates for 4 days before I could get my private plate transferred over. CKI did everything right but on renewal the issued me a certificate for the original reg number. Foolishly I didn't check:eek: Anyway, called them at 16:45 and they admitted their mistake, confirmed I was insured and promised to send the propper cert out 1st class. What happens if it doesn't come? My car will technically be un-taxed from midnight tomorrow:( What shall / can I do:confused: Cheers, Simon.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Depends how quickly the insurance database updates, but you can tax a car online, although I don't know if you can drive it until you receive the tax disk? :confused:

Check here to see if your car is insured - ASKMID
...and here to tax it online - DVLA Vehicle Licensing Online | Home

N

·
0 Posts
Get them to email a scan on the insurance doc and print it out?

(That's what we do here for the green windscreen insurance "Disc".)

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Went to the post office today to tax my car but was embarrassed to find I've had the wrong insurance certificate since last December:eek: When I bought my car new last October, it replaced my written off 156 and due to the postal strike at the time the car went on new plates for 4 days before I could get my private plate transferred over. CKI did everything right but on renewal the issued me a certificate for the original reg number. Foolishly I didn't check:eek: Anyway, called them at 16:45 and they admitted their mistake, confirmed I was insured and promised to send the propper cert out 1st class. What happens if it doesn't come? My car will technically be un-taxed from midnight tomorrow:( What shall / can I do:confused: Cheers, Simon.
Gosh you are having a bad period SR.I'm a bit rusty on the old Vehicles Excise act 1971 If it still is that.....An unwritten rule known as a period of grace of 14 days
1) Application is recieved by the secretary of state for new disc
2)The old disc is displayed
3)Cant remembver it now But its probably all changed....This was before PC..Personal Computers.:cheese: May have been the the tax discs run consecutively.

Depends how quickly the insurance database updates, but you can tax a car online, although I don't know if you can drive it until you receive the tax disk? :confused:

Check here to see if your car is insured - ASKMID
...and here to tax it online - DVLA Vehicle Licensing Online | Home

As Bobda says..never tried it though ...I try to keep my local post office in business.:thumbs:

Get them to email a scan on the insurance doc and print it out?

(That's what we do here for the green windscreen insurance "Disc".)

SR to Traffic Officer after being pulled by the Number plate recognition system...."But Coonstable this French bloke said it was OK":cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

Pomeo

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A crap end to an awfull week indeed:( I may call the DVLA tomorow and use that "fellow civil servant" card I have in my back pocket;)

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
When I last needed to tax an insured car, but I didn't have the cover certificate, I just forged one. The guy at the post office doesn't plug anything into the keyboard on the computer, its just a visual check on the document. So as long as the car is insured, there is nothing wrong with making your own insurance document. In my mind anyway :lol:

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
I thought the period of grace thing had been done away with:confused:

if taxing online you need to give it up to 5 days to receive the disc.

N

·
0 Posts
SR to Traffic Officer after being pulled by the Number plate recognition system...."But Coonstable this French bloke said it was OK":cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

Pomeo
He only needs to prove insurance at the PO to get it taxed,
not use it for a producer.

Just be thankful you don't have to carry all your vehicle
docs around with you at all times you're in the car. :p

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
:thumbs:
I thought the period of grace thing had been done away with:confused:

if taxing online you need to give it up to 5 days to receive the disc.

ERRRR IU did say I was rusty first.....means not sure if stil applicable.

When I last needed to tax an insured car, but I didn't have the cover certificate, I just forged one. The guy at the post office doesn't plug anything into the keyboard on the computer, its just a visual check on the document. So as long as the car is insured, there is nothing wrong with making your own insurance document. In my mind anyway :lol:

:cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

One day I was on duty at the cop shop.This guy comes in and produces to me a cert of insurance with a HORT1.....I look at it and say" :cheese: You dont really want to produce this to me do you"...He was most upset and indiganant and insisted...I said Ok but dont say I didnt warn you.:D
Went to see thr Detective Inspector.Showed him the certificate and asked his opinion....Well youd need to do thsi do that and do the next thing..I thanked him and left .A fellow Sgt was playing snooker and asked him...."Did some C get a John Bull printing outfit for their Xmas"..I said Jimmy your :D ma kinda officer.....Went thro the front and asked another officer to corroborate the business....

Charged him with it....And he admitted it ....I reminded him of waht I had said at the outset and asked him between him and me had he used it anywhere else...Yep he said...Where I asked...At the post office was the reply ..To get yer road tax I said ..yes he said..I shook his hand and said well at least you pay your road tax.....After he left the ethnic officer who corroborated the caution and charge was scrutinising the produced certificate of insurance and after sometime said "Gaffer,How did you know it was a bummer"
I put my arm around him and said "Son if you are in the polis for a hundred years you'll never make a cop....but in 6 months you will be a Detective Inspector."

Who says there is no humour in uniform.

SR and pud thanks for the memories.:cheese: :thumbs:

Pomeo

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Thing is, the physical tax disk isn't checked any more, it's all electronic - so if you do tax it online and are waiting for the disk in the post, if your car gets scanned by an ANPR camera, then you shouldn't be flagged as having no tax.

There are nor periods of grace any more. Your car is either taxed, or it isn't.

Post Offices aren't allowed to accept faxed/scanned insurance cover notes - not sure if they ever were, but they definitely don't now.

I'd tax it online, after checking the MID in the link above and then drive carefully (ie, don't draw attention to yourself) until the tax disk arrives. :)

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
He only needs to prove insurance at the PO to get it taxed,
not use it for a producer.

Just be thankful you don't have to carry all your vehicle
docs around with you at all times you're in the car. :p
Nev see above
Iken what you mean.

Pomeo

·
Registered
725 Posts
Had a similar arse up this year in that the insurance sent out the renewal - you don't have to do anything yada yada, but the cert never landed as I discovered just before going to tip up for the tax. Several telephone calls and poking my head into the post office to see if they accepted faxed documents led me to tax it online and cart around the receipt until it arrived a couple of days later. Went past a county car in that time twice on the same day :) He was too busy reading the paper or something. I think if you have proof of purchase and it doesn't come up on the not insured radar it's too much like hardwork for plod

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Thing is, the physical tax disk isn't checked any more, it's all electronic - so if you do tax it online and are waiting for the disk in the post, if your car gets scanned by an ANPR camera, then you shouldn't be flagged as having no tax.

There are nor periods of grace any more. Your car is either taxed, or it isn't.

Post Offices aren't allowed to accept faxed/scanned insurance cover notes - not sure if they ever were, but they definitely don't now.

I'd tax it online, after checking the MID in the link above and then drive carefully (ie, don't draw attention to yourself) until the tax disk arrives. :)
Has the fail to display been done away with too then.All these blue meanies etc I just dont know who does what anymore.

Pomeo

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
must be the silly season...

was getting all my paperwork ready this morning to go and tax mine when i realised adrian flux insurance had sent my insurance certificate showing mrs al as the policyholder (when in fact she's a named driver, i'm the policyholder). rang them up and they emailed me a pdf of the correct certificate and the post office accepted that no problem :thumbs:

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
Good story Pomeo :thumbs: :lol:

SR, if I were you I'd probably tax it online but it is still an offence to have a car on public highways without a valid tax disc on display. So just be careful where you are parking it up.

It really is an absolutely daft system, thats why I just forged mine. Its not like it wasn't insured, I just didn't have the document to prove it so made my own and all was well, I drove home all legal, taxed and insured, with a disc in my window :)

·
Registered
32,440 Posts
got to say doing it online is painless :thumbs:

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Good story Pomeo :thumbs: :lol:
Pud It actually happenned ...sometime the truth is stanger than fiction....And there are so many others some humorous some sad and some tragic.

I should really sit down and do an autobiography.

Pomeo

A

·
0 Posts
From sept 1st 2008 the grace period is valid again(now for 5 days) with condition that you have paid for a new disc either on line or by phone before the current disc runs out. You can still drive legally as long as you display the disc that has just run out.
Don't know if that helps,but definitely correct it was a mail shot I got from DVLA.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
From sept 1st 2008 the grace period is valid again(now for 5 days) with condition that you have paid for a new disc either on line or by phone before the current disc runs out. You can still drive legally as long as you display the disc that has just run out.
Don't know if that helps,but definitely correct it was a mail shot I got from DVLA.
There you go SR, problem solved. :thumbs:

If the coppers stop you though, just say that alfafamily said it was OK. :) :D

N

·
0 Posts
Nev see above
Hey what do I know? We don't have stupid things
like road tax over here. ;)

Or "producers": No documents? €90/document on the spot fine.

(Although I have got away with a copy "Certifié Conforme"
which is a thing in France where you go to the Mayor's office
and they verify the copy with the original and then stamp/date
the copy. Very useful legal dodge. :D)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts