Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The MCSF warning light has been coming on more and more over the last 3 months, and now it's on constantly. I can drive, but revs are limited to just under 3000.

I bought a VAGCOM cable and downloaded FiatECUScan to read the fault codes.
The code is P0180 (Diesel Temperature Sensor A Malfunction).
After clearing the codes, this warning persisted so I am guessing the sensor needs replaced.

I couldn't find a specific part number, but it looks like the sensors are not too expensive.
Is it easy to replace and does anyone know the part number and where I can get hold of one?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have the same code coming up intermittantly. Its been doing it for about 18 months. It has no effect on the running of my car.
I'm with famonteiro I think that is a red herring. You say in your post that you cleared the codes. What other codes are you getting?
On the 156 2.4 jtd 10v 150 the sensor is built into the filter housing and can't be changed separately. I have no idea if this is the case on the 147 jtd though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've attached the 3 screenshots I took when I was inspecting.

The first two are the warnings shown when I first connected before clearing faults.
The third screen is what was left (and the warning light is still on the dash) after clearing faults.

I checked again a couple of days later, and no other faults have shown up, still only the Diesel Temp Sensor fault.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem returns

Hello all.

The above problem turned out to be a fault in the wiring loom. The sensor itself was ok.
However, after 4 years trouble free, the issue has returned and now after paying for an investigation my local service centre (Croydon Motor Village) has advised that the only option they can offer (because they don't have the facility to do partial repairs on electrical faults) is to replace the whole loom. Apparently, the engine has been rubbing against the loom and caused wear on the wiring.
They have estimated this would cost around £800 for the parts and a day's labour, so prob about £1500.
They recommended me to contact Gonnella Brothers to see if they could repair without replacing the whole loom, but I've read mostly bad reviews here about them.

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding garages (I'm in South London, SE19) or some other way that I might be able to get this repaired?

Many thanks
Robin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts