Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

A mad friend of mine is trying to get a 2.5 v6 from a 155 into his 33.. tut tut
but before he goes and spends a load of cash on hardware he needs to know how big the block and gearbox are.
do any of you know?? have any of you got 2.5 v6's?? if so would you mind measuring you engine and gearbox? please...

thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi there,

I have a 155 2.5 V6, i've also owned a 33 1.7 16v.
The problem in fitting the V6 into the 33 will be the way the 33's engine bay is divided. It has quite a large section just in front of the bulk head holding battery, electrics etc. Believe me when i say that there is no way you are going to fit the V6 in that engine bay, at least not with major work involving rebuilding the front of the car!
However i've seen a 145 fitted with a 2.5 V6 from a 156, something i would've not thought possible. Then you've got to think about uprated suspension, engine mounts, the list goes on. Tell your friend to buy a 155 V6. It'll be a hell of a lot easier! And probably not much more expensive.
But if you do manage it, i'd certainly like to see it, it'll be one mad car. I have fond memories of my 33.

Regards,

A.H

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Alex,

I'm cheating on this one. I am a 33 driver and I know what you mean about that bulkhead.. I was thinking the same thing. I also rattled of a large list of parts that he will need to sort out before he can have a safe or usable car.. He's a total nutter and isn't going to be put off easily.. but you, me and about 20 other people have told him he's mad and it'll work..
33 drivers eh.. I dunno, every one a nutter :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alfanutter :
I have also owned a 33'er,and sometimes I miss it a lot.It was an 1,7 QV from '89 (the one with carburators and 118 hp).I build another engine in this great car,but the project was a lot easy'er,becouse it was a 16v engine (and gearbox,fueltank etc. etc.).I don't think you'r friend's 33'er would be so much faster with this great 2,5 V6 engine vs. the 1,7 16v engine (if it is "the old" 12v),mine developed 144 bp without any modifications except removing the cat.

But I think I can emagine what you'r friend want's :Something nobody else has!Therefore I just want to say : Good luck with the project.But I hope you'r friend knows what kind of enormous work he has to do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the best wishes.. my 33 has 167BHP!! from a 1.7 16v.. love it!
its a P4 '91 but its just blown a piston and i cant afford to fix it :(
i'll let dave (my m8) know that there are other people out there that want him to be able to complete his project..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm...

now where's that shoe horn? :eek:

good luck! tell us how it goes. it'll be very interesting.

Jase

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Thomas G:
[qb]Alfanutter :
I don't think you'r friend's 33'er would be so much faster with this great 2,5 V6 engine vs. the 1,7 16v engine.

I know we're in danger of creating a new topic here but anyway;

I owned both my 155 and 33 for a short time,
and drove them back to back for the above reason, i knew the V6 was of course faster but it's the way that it is faster that is completely different to the 16v, especially the pick up from low revs. I'm sure anyone with a 33 16v (or any 16v engine for that matter) will tell you that to get the best performance from this engine you have to keep it in the top of the rev range, good fun at 6500 rpm!
A 33 with 167 bhp however is a different matter, with 30 bhp more than standard you'd certainly give your friend a run for his money in his 33 V6!
Going all the way up the rev range in a V6 is a joy to behold, and it doesn't run out of steam in higher gears like my 33 used to. It's not just power we're talking about here, it's torque also. This is what helps me smoothly go from 35 to around 120mph in fourth gear! (wouldn't advise doing that too often!)

2.5 V6 versus standard 1.7 16v? No contest really, and yes that includes "the old" 12V V6, sorry Thomas G.

Regards,

A.H

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has Dave got WinZip? Set it to maximum compression and he might get that engine in there!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi
Have you or your friend though about installing this “dream” V6 longitudinal in the engine bay and mating it to the existing gearbox.
I don’t know if it could be done but I think it should be easier to find the room for the engine this way – maybe the front cross chassis member have to be moved forward as would certainly the radiator. But as for the transmission goes, lots of beefing up parts have be made for competition use so it should be possible to make it stand the extra torque. Problem is mating the engine to the clutch and bell house.
That someone putting a V6 in a 146 doesn’t surprise me, the 146 shares the same body platform as the 155 (and Tipo/Tempra/Dedra/Delta II).
Lets hear about this project as or if it materialise.
Regards
Erik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey all,

Thaks for the feedback..
there are loads of pionts here. My car (33 16v 167bhp) is much faster than a standard 155 v6 24v but it doesnt have anywhere near the same amount of torque as the V6.. How ever it does go round corners better cos it doesnt have to chuck such a massive engine round the bend too! oh and mine a P4 :)

The plan for the V6 has changed a little due to finding out how big the engine and gearbox are..
David is now going to install the engine in the middle of the car and make it rear wheel drive. This is going to be a lot easier and will only require about 1/2 as much body rebuilding as putting it in the front.. Plus this way the uprated suspention is going to be more able to take the weight of the V6.
Once the V6 is in then the engine mods are to start.. the aim is 300bhp and maybe a turbo (but maybe not ..£££ )

I think that he should just get a 155 or a GTV and own a V6 the way alfa intended.. and then mod that up if he wants.. but lads will be lads.. :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Alfanutter,

Could you please tell me what you had done to your P4 to get 167 bhp?

I take it this is at the fly wheel to?

Just interested and hope its back up and running kicking BMW arse soon :D

MAK

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey MAK..

i'm not sure i should be going on about 33's in here but nevermind.. they are still alfas :)

My car is a '91 P4. As standard it has 137bhp. to get the extra 30bhp I have had a custom remapped ECU fitted, A full 3" stainless steel exhaust system and a K&N induction kit with a special cold air box built around it to keep any heat form the engine bay out. also with 2 direct air intakes to the cold air box.

Yes that 167 is at the flywheel and soon that flywheel will be lighter too :) along with crank, con rods and fanbelt pullie.

Other mods in the pipeline are head porting, valves re profiled, 270 degree cams, omp clutch and larger injectors.. but the biggest mod of them all will be my turbo. This is planned for the end of this year/ very early next year.. cant wait. My goal bhp is 270.

A.Nutter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts