Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Collecting a new car tomorrow but need to keep the old one insured until it's sold. My current insurers won't mirror my NCB on to the new car so it would be very expensive with them. Their suggestion was to change the current policy to the new car and take out temporary cover on the old one, also an expensive option.

Any suggestions from the AO insurance experts?

Cheers,
Simon

·
Registered
37,860 Posts
I think last time (4 years ago though!) I switched the insurance and NCB to the snortwagon but had a 30 day "extension" on the ole 156. Didn't cost too much.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I simply switched the NCB to my new car (the Brera) and took out a new policy on the old car from a company that would give me some mirrored NCB. In my case I didn't need the cover for more than a week, so cancelled within the 14 day period where I wasn't charged anything except the days cover used, but I'd done the maths and it was far cheaper to do this and accept a cancellation charge than pay for temporary cover.

Just search on the meerkats or annoying opera singer sites making sure you put in no NCB but have had NCB and you'll get decent quotes.

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
Collecting a new car tomorrow but need to keep the old one insured until it's sold. My current insurers won't mirror my NCB on to the new car so it would be very expensive with them. Their suggestion was to change the current policy to the new car and take out temporary cover on the old one, also an expensive option.

Any suggestions from the AO insurance experts?

Cheers,
Simon
I went through this last year when got rid of the 159 for the Evora, but had to get an additional old shed to run as a dog-wagon. Disposal of the 159 was delayed for 3 weeks due to an on-going oil leak problem which meant I couldn't just do a straight switch over on the insurance.

My insurer wouldn't play ball in any shape or form and I ended up having to take out a temporary policy (through Aviva as I recall) for the old MG ZT-T that was to be the canine taxi - cost a bloomin' fortune too, about £70 a week, :furious: .

Fortunately when I got the Lotus, the insurer for it mirrored my NCB so it worked out, somewhat surprisingly, only a few quid a year more than I was paying for the 159.

Try a different company, surely your ncb from last renewal is still valid.
Unfortunately, it states quite clearly that any NCB earned can only be applied to 1 policy at a time - and in this age of Big Brother technology, I'm sure they'll have ways of checking on this, :paranoid: .

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for confirming my experience. The dealer has come up trumps with 5 days complimentary cover so at least I've got some time to sort it out and can have a play at the weekend.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the plan; I've insured the new car with LV who will mirror 5 years of my NCB so it comes out fairly reasonable, my old car continues on its current policy. When the old car is sold, I'll cancel both policies and start again with all my NCB on the new car.

Why do they make it so complicated to do something so commonplace without being ripped off?!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Here's the plan; I've insured the new car with LV who will mirror 5 years of my NCB so it comes out fairly reasonable, my old car continues on its current policy. When the old car is sold, I'll cancel both policies and start again with all my NCB on the new car.

Why do they make it so complicated to do something so commonplace without being ripped off?!
Why would you need to cancel the LV policy? You can just confirm the NCB transfer with them, rather than it just being mirrored.

·
Registered
13,247 Posts
It's a rip-off, not being able to transfer your NCB to more than one policy.

If you have a claim, it would affect both policies, so why doesn't your No Claims apply universally, no matter how many policies you own? Bas Steerard Canutes! "No Claims" means.. er.. no claims, doesn't it? You can't have no claims and not no claims.

I found a policy where I could use my NCB, even though I had already "used" it (?) to renew.

Now I have two policies, each one accumulating its own NCB apparently (yeah right! :D ) It's still cheaper than Admiral multi-car.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
I had my main car and the Spider on different policies until a couple of years ago. The Spider was always on a modern classic policy. However I went with Admiral on a multi-car and then back to IAM Surety. Surety do not offer a classic policy and just mirrored the main car NCB. Works a treat now :)
Only thing is WeBuyAnyCar for example, value the Spider at £255. My only concern that is if I had to claim against the car it would be written off and me offered a pittance.

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Call Greenlight - I've found them very good. I'm insuring my new GTA, no transferable NCB, for £260, limited miles at 5K per annum. They also don't try the "we've thought of a number and doubled it" game at renewal time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts