Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How annoying...!
On Saturday I made a 172 mile round trip to Alton Towers and another 85 mile round trip to IKEA at Ashton-Under-Lyne yesterday with no issues. I parked up at home until I had to go out a half hour later only to hear the unmistakeable sound of air escaping from a tyre. There it was, a large nail embedded in the tyre tread. I am thankful it wasn't on the M60 at junction 24 where there is no hard shoulder for a mile.

The silver lining is that I'd ordered 4 new tyres a couple of days earlier before the MOT is due and this could quite easily have been a brand new tyre going pop. From now on I'll be checking the carport for sharp objects.

On the subject of tyres does it bug you when after buying a used you find there are 28 different brands of tyre on it? This is the main reason I'm buying 4 new ones and having the tracking checked too. I'm paying to have them fitted this time but next time I'd like to try my hand at it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I don't think you can just fit a tyre to your own car wheel can you?
I takes them long enough to pop them off and on when using special equipment espcially the low profile tyres.

I would imagine years ago you could but even getting the blanacing correct etc takes a bit of doing.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think you can just fit a tyre to your own car wheel can you?
I takes them long enough to pop them off and on when using special equipment espcially the low profile tyres.

I would imagine years ago you could but even getting the blanacing correct etc takes a bit of doing.
Ah. I forgot about the balancing. Quite a complex job then.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I don't think its complex but given how tyres are produced now its not like fitting a bicycle tyre any more.
Slight inbalances make for a ropey ride otherwise. not to mention the strain it would put on other parts for it being inbalanced.

Most tyre fitting places will fit new tyres / balance and whathave you without you getting your hands mucky for £10 a corner on average.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You live and learn. I see your point, you could do it yourself but the potential damage you can cause would cost more to repair than paying the extra to have them fitted professionally. Cheers for that. :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I wouldnt know if you could physically do it. The beads are pretty stong on tyres now. Espcially low profilers that are usually reinforced.

G

·
I live where there is a shared car park and the trades people seem to think this is a good place to empty the loose screws and nails on the floor before they leave had quite a few punctures this way more than on the road :mad:

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Piece of cake

1. let the tyre down
2. break the bead,
3. Lever tyre off
4. Lever new tyre on
5. Reseat bead
6. Inflate tyre

6 easy steps. Unfortunately for the home mechanic an (almost) impossible task. Have a look on youtube for amateurs breaking and reseating tyre (tire) bead, it's quite comical.

Not to mention the levering off/on of the new tyre, you'll more than likely take the paint off the rim of your alloys.

Nah, unfortunately it's one job best left to the professionals.

All the best

Pub

G

·
Think the funniest thing I've seen was 2 people on American hotrod trying to remove an over-sized truck tyre using the basic method as it wouldn't fit on the tyre machine they had absolutely hysterical and a tad dangerous.:cheese::tut:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yep it bugged me. I bought one that had 4 different tyres on it. Made the car veer hard to the left and was like like driving a Flintstone car. All replaced and all problems cured.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I live where there is a shared car park and the trades people seem to think this is a good place to empty the loose screws and nails on the floor before they leave had quite a few punctures this way more than on the road :mad:
I think this is a classic case of the point you make here. The people who drop these sharp objects never seem to get punctures. Such is life.

Cheers for all your comments people. :thumbs:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts