Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How accurate is your fuel gauge?

Last time I filled up, the gauge said empty. But the pump pistol clicked when I had put in only 59 liters. And the gauge doesn't say the tank is completely filled up. Maybe the pump pistol just shut off to early? Or my gauge isn't very accurate.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I ran out of fuel yesterday - 346 miles on the clock since I last filled up.

The last time I filled up, I got around 335 miles, but it only took 64 litres to fill the tank (69 litre capacity I think).

The orange light came on over 48 hours before. I would say I had done around 40 -50 miles in the meantime, some of which was quite spirited.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I don't know about more modern cars, but plenty of cars of the 166 era and older have fairly unreliable gauges. It's best to just get used to the behaviour of the one in your specific car and don't bother questioning it. It is what it is.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My fuel guage is pretty good apart from the rapid drop after it says 1/4 full. I hardly bother to look at it as I find that the ICS readout is spot on for 'miles left' and mpg averages.

·
Registered
354 Posts
My gauge is very good - I get 50 miles per section, so 400 to a tank. Light comes on at about 350, with one section to go.

I've pushed it to 415 once or twice, but then never managed to get more than 66 litres in, so I wonder if the reserve (not indicated on the gauge?) is a gallon or so.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't know about more modern cars, but plenty of cars of the 166 era and older have fairly unreliable gauges. It's best to just get used to the behaviour of the one in your specific car and don't bother questioning it. It is what it is.
My Saab's gauge hugs the 'F' for about 100 miles and then plummets rapidly before hovering at 1/4 for a good few miles. As for the 164, it just plummets rapidly!

·
Registered
761 Posts
THis all sounds like the behaviour that I'm all too familiar with from the numerous 205 GTIs that I've had. On those they go above the full mark when you brim them, then don't move below the full mark for about 10 miles, then creep down to half way fairly consistantly, and then by the time you get to about half way or the 1/4 mark they needle will drop like a stone.

I don't think I've ever driven an old-ish car with a reliable guage. I've hired a few newish cars but never noticed what they are like because I usually rely on the trip computer and they tend to be pretty accurate in estimating range.

·
Registered
754 Posts
If you've taken one out, you understand why they are like this. They measure level with a float. Therefore they don't start at the very top (neck full) and they'll report weirdly on the way down wherever the tank isn't a straight box.

A more accurate device would have to be electronic and calibrated to the tank's exact profile - way too complicated and expensive (at least in 1998) for the benefit given.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I first got my V6 it hadn't been used regularly and the gauge was all over the place, but it settled down after a while. I always fill up when the warning light comes on, usually 53-59 litres before the pump stops.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
My gauge is very good - I get 50 miles per section, so 400 to a tank. Light comes on at about 350, with one section to go.

I've pushed it to 415 once or twice, but then never managed to get more than 66 litres in, so I wonder if the reserve (not indicated on the gauge?) is a gallon or so.
Mine's around the same but a lot of motorway driving can stretch it.
Got 450 miles between fills in the UK two years ago. I think it might have gone further but I'd want a container with a gallon of petrol in it!
As far as I can remember the most I've got in is 65 litres...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts