Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
My Guilietta gets a run to the supermarket every two weeks, alternating with my wifes VW Up. The 916 Spider is sorned and on trickle charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Paddy, there’s an Eos at the local garage with the roof a couple of seconds short of closing or opening so it’s wrapped in clear plastic waiting to be fixed, from the looks of it. ‘Hope you’re using your roof now and again to keep it working.
I've had the roof down a couple of times recently - once because it was actually sunny and I had somewhere to go, and the second time to lubricate the seals. We've not had a problem with the roof so far but they do seem to be somewhat problematic when they do go wrong. And expensive. I do love it though when the weather permits.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Do miss the old girl.....the 156...not the missus....see enough of her these days ;)
Glad you added that. For a moment I thought you were going soft. And my wife is a bit squeaky, so thank you for the tip about the silicone spray.

·
Registered
11,448 Posts
the front door locks on on my 156 are still pointing UP to allow moisture to collect in the working parts so they inevitably stick and require large regular doses of WD40 to keep them working.
In terms of door handles, LOCK UP looks good, but is impractical. LOCKDOWN would be less beautiful but more practical mechanically.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
the front door locks on on my 156 are still pointing UP to allow moisture to collect in the working parts so they inevitably stick and require large regular doses of WD40 to keep them working.
In terms of door handles, LOCK UP looks good, but is impractical. LOCKDOWN would be less beautiful but more practical mechanically.
What age is your 156?

·
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
495 Posts
Weekly trip out to (socially distanced) click-and-collect from supermarket ten miles away, so enough of a round trip to get things warmed up and charged up. Have been using each car in turn for those trips.

Three of our cars are electric hybrids which can have their big hybrid battery 'regenerated' whilst stationary, by running the petrol engine for a few minutes - so I've been doing that once a fortnight and all seems well.

All of our cars are currently seriously clean, and I've kind of got into the habit of washing each one before it's used...! :cool:

·
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
495 Posts
Glad you added that. For a moment I thought you were going soft. And my wife is a bit squeaky, so thank you for the tip about the silicone spray.
Be careful. My Alfetta used to make a squealing/screeching noise from the front-left at any speed over 55 mph. It turned out that it was coming from my wife, but I think silicone spray would probably have made it worse...

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The Giulietta hasn't really done much in the last 2 months. A couple of 200+ mile essential work trips. It's usually 1500+ miles a month. Plus as its been sunny a lot of the time the mini has been out and about for shopping.
I like driving but it's been nice not having to plough up and down the highways of the UK in the week.

·
Registered
11,448 Posts
Yep mine March 2003 also....do you mean when you lock car the wee inside locks are still showing "erect" ?

Behave now ;)
No, I'm talking exterior front door handles.
Because of the door handles being mounted at 90º to an upward facing curve at the top of the doors, the push buttons with keyholes face slightly upward and so take in moisture. This means they tend to stick (not pop out again when pushed) during "the rainy season".
It's a beautiful door/handle design interface with an obvious practical design flaw :)

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Because of the door handles being mounted at 90º to an upward facing curve at the top of the doors, the push buttons with keyholes face slightly upward and so take in moisture. This means they tend to stick (not pop out again when pushed) during "the rainy season".
It's a beautiful door/handle design interface with an obvious practical design flaw :)
Ahh.....got you now......oh yes.....happens with me too....that's where the aforementioned "wife" silicone comes in very handy :whistle:

156s should come with a special tool box full of gaffer tape,sprays and cable ties...... :)

·
Registered
14,797 Posts
Spider was SORN after TDWSNMUMD and no point in re-taxing it. Bimmer takes to me to work and Mrs Pat’s **** is used if we go somewhere for a walk or to shop so they are both ticking over.
The ** appears to have shed a few letters. I'm sure it used to be a *.

·
Registered
64 Posts
We’ve got three cars between us. Rotating trips to the shops to keep them moving. Had to make a longer work trip the other day and it’s the first time driving any distance for a while. Felt weird!

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,409 Posts
My Gtv hasn’t been touched for over a year. The 145 is booked in for an interior rebuild. The GT is sat waiting for the parts list purchases to be completed and the Mini has been getting the odd run out for shopping and pleasure - two separate entities which require two separate trips.

·
Registered
482 Posts
My cars had 4 weeks of no use. We are not in a lock down anymore for the meantime.
My 156 started fine. It seemed to start faster after sitting for a month, rather than when it starts after sitting for a day.
The heater solenoid was jammed shut in my older Mercedes so I had nice cold air on an cool autumn morning.
Other than that surprisingly well.

I've used special 'Lock Lube' in and around the buttons on my front door handles and it seems to be more successful than when I just used standard old silicone spray or other spray lubricants.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
My cars had 4 weeks of no use. We are not in a lock down anymore for the meantime.
My 156 started fine. It seemed to start faster after sitting for a month, rather than when it starts after sitting for a day.
The heater solenoid was jammed shut in my older Mercedes so I had nice cold air on an cool autumn morning.
Other than that surprisingly well.

I've used special 'Lock Lube' in and around the buttons on my front door handles and it seems to be more successful than when I just used standard old silicone spray or other spray lubricants.
'Lock Lube'
Typo ?? :whistle: :p ;)

21 - 40 of 48 Posts