Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
depending on what you do, I guess our car use has differed quite a bit of late.

how’s your car doing? Used? Unused?

·
Administrator
45,538 Posts
It's stayed clean a lot longer! And the odd bored time (although I'm still working full time, so that hasn't amounted to much) has resulted in it getting cleaned to the extend of even polishing the exhaust tips.

The lockdown has been the perfect test for the new battery in Mrs Bazza's car too. Before replacing it (and we were a long way away from sure that the battery was the issue) it would have to be charged every two weeks to avoid risk of a failure to start. Put down to the paucity of long journeys. But it was replaced 2-3 months ago now, and the journeys have been even more seldom and short. And I've completely forgotten to do any charging. Despite all that, it has been faultless.

·
Registered
34,405 Posts
I’ve had my Stelvio for 18 months and it’s only done 5500 miles. I drove it yesterday to go to the bike shop in Croydon where they were doing some repairs on one of my bikes. Otherwise I’ve not used it for the last few weeks. I only used it because the battery on a Giulia seems to go flat and I wanted to avoid that with my Stelvio. I would have cycled. The fact that I could buy a very , very nice bike for the cost of it sitting static outside our house is scary!

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
interesting you mention the battery, Bazza; that’s going to be the weak spot on many cars. My dad has a five year old Golf, and it lives the life of its retired owner. Slow trudge here, slow trudge there. Even ahead of lockdown he was conscious his lack of miles were suffocating the battery, compounded by his car having DRLs, the navigator and air con on etc, so it was no surprise when it barely coughed into life on Monday. He’s popped in a new heavy duty battery so let’s see if that helps.

The Taxi? You can guess :)

·
Registered
34,405 Posts
My father downsized from a Mercedes to a Scirocco and reduced his mileage to only short journeys. The car never went far enough to get the condensation out of the exhaust and the silencers just corroded. I was glad when he realised it was time to give up the car!

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
My Bimmer is doing ok, I have managed to get a few jobs done such as replacing a suspension arm (Last years MOT advisory), and I have also replaced brake pads and discs all round. I have done a couple of subtle cosmetic mods such as painting the grill black. I also did a remap with Celtic tuning's emotion2. I took it for a longer drive Wednesday and it went perfectly, and is very fast compared to how it was before. I had done the occasional short hop to the shop/chemist etc under the lockdown but Wednesday was the first time It had beem run properly since March 23rd.

The Alfa had still been in daily use, as the better half is a key worker.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The barge has been in constant use for work. I could really do with some time off to wash it because it is covered in bird ****.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I use mine on two out of three days, but the round trip never exceeds eight miles and is usually much less. It keeps the battery alive but it's probably not too healthy for the mechanical parts of the engine.

·
Registered
14,797 Posts
Mine hasn't moved since late March. It was on eBay then but then lockdown happened. It's on SORN, the battery is disconnected, and the handbrake is off. Tom's Polo is in a similar state. His work van, the CRV, and elder child's Audi have seen the odd trip to Tesco and an occasional mercy mission to deliver shopping to the MiL.

My car has done 200 miles in 6 months.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Lockdown involved the fleet going from 200 miles a day to approximately zero. I built a CTEK charger onto a 50m long lead, and each car has been getting 24 hours of charging every 2 weeks. Everything works and has been serviced. I’ll probably change the cambelt on SAAG because I am bored.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
159 (Anne's) gets the most use for her work......156 gets a 15 minute tickover twice a week to keep battery charged.... don't know if that helps but hey ho.
When Anne is at work I take it out for a 10 minute spin round the local houses.
Lovely mayonnaise on the oil filler cap,a very slow puncture on the passenger front and a squeaky fan belt which I lubed with some silicone spray.

Do miss the old girl.....the 156...not the missus....see enough of her these days ;)

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We get a lot of smeg here. Pollen, i guess. Car was covered in it. Turned the key. All the warning lights came up (normal) then slowly popped off one by one (normal), bar the washer fluid level one. Dearest old Mercedes. Of all the problems in the world right now, your yearning for a bit of splash... not interested.

Turned the key further... fired up and settled to from cold start idle to normal idle, like it was driven yesterday.

She’s a good old lass. Old, but good.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Been taking turns and using mine and the wifes car (she's home on furlough) to go to work although I have also been using up a lot of holiday so they don't always get used daily.
Still run them to B&Q or Tesco's if off work.
:)

·
Administrator
60,242 Posts
My Spider is still asleep in the garage, not sure when I’ll get her out. My Mercedes has travelled 17km in 3 months, no where to go In this pandemic. Hubby drives his SUV when we get groceries.

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
For the most part it's used just once a week for the weekly food shop.
The few new jobs I've taken on during 'lockdown' have been in my neighbourhood so I've either walked or gone on the bike. Until last week. I had a new client to meet in a neighbouring town, so did a 30 mile round-trip. It felt a little odd to drive again!
I last put petrol in on the 19th March and still have 3/8 of a tank.
I had a new battery two years ago, so no problem there. The original lasted 10 years, but a week sat idle whilst on holiday finally killed it off.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
The EOS gets the most use when the missus goes to work or goes shopping. The GT gets taken short distances to places myself and boy go walking. Its battery has been charged a couple of times and the car has repaid me with alarm problems.

·
Registered
34,405 Posts
Paddy, there’s an Eos at the local garage with the roof a couple of seconds short of closing or opening so it’s wrapped in clear plastic waiting to be fixed, from the looks of it. ‘Hope you’re using your roof now and again to keep it working.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
I have devices on each of the cars to tell me the state of charge and terminal p.d. via an app on my iPhone. GTV is hooked up to a large solar panel charger as well. The Giulietta is used for the food run. The battery for the BMW bike is in the house and is charged regularly.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts