Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve decided to sell my 3.0 GTV but I have no idea how to value it. Advertised prices seem to range from 4k to 10k… but are these cars selling well at the moment?

Mine has had a ton of mechanical work done over the last three years and it drives really well and sounds amazing… but it is scruffy with bad lacquer peel on the roof and tops of the doors. So I also have to decide if it’s worth spending money on a paintwork refresh in order to sell it (my instinct is not…)

Interested in your thoughts here, guys.

Some info on the car:
  • 1999 3.0 GTV with CF2 motor and 6 speed box
  • Vela Blu with Blue Style interior
  • 132k miles with partial history
  • Recent cam belt, clutch, Q2 diff
  • Recent plugs, oil, filter, oil cooler and hoses
  • Koni sport dampers plus Eibach springs all round; Powerflex bushes on rear suspension
  • New front lower arms and reinforcement plates
  • CDA airbox and Ragazzon exhaust back section
  • Aero kit with 17” teledials - recent Toyo Proxes all round
  • New radiator, thermostat, header tank and coolant plus all o-rings
  • Sony DAB stereo
  • Will sell with a full MoT

·
Registered
719 Posts
Generally painting not worth it value wise. However people are so shallow and DO buy with their eyes, especially a posers car like a 916.
When I had my Red V6 .. almost everything was new on it, yet despite the thousands spent on the important stuff, the paint was poor and it was all I ever got comments about.
They are almost at the point where spending £3-4K getting a passable respray is worth it but not quite. Will it turn a £4k car into an £8K+ car ? one like yours where everything else is sorted. I think yes it might.

Reactions: Pud237

·
Registered
2010 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4, 2003 Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 3 JTS
1,459 Posts
Fuel prices coming back down but with winter coming and obscene energy bills the cars aren't exactly selling left right and centre. Maybe hold on until spring? Tough one to call, but I'd guess the longer you can hold onto it the stronger the value will be

·
Registered
188 Posts
Here's where the UK market is today from looking at Autotrader, Pistonheads and Car & Classic. Key take aways are:
1) Prices for GTV 3.0 V6's don't seem that sensitive to mileage
2) GTV 3.0 V6's have a mean value of around £6000 - 6300 regardless of mileage or year. That suggests that the condition and history are more important?
3) GTV Cup's are still above standard 3.0 prices
4) GTV 3.2's have comparable pricing to Cup's (I guess the rarity and mechanical changes are now being recognised?)

And here's a quick assessment of 32 cars in the UK market for 4 variants for cost versus mileage:
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Plot

And here's an assessment of 3.0 & 3.2 V6 car prices by year (prices not affected by year too):
Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice guys - and MountainGoat thanks for that analysis.

I guess we don't know what is the actual selling price of these cars; or how long they're taking to sell.

Also think you're right that condition is probably more important with these cars - where much of their appeal is based on their looks.

So I might give it a shot at selling as is now - and get the paintwork done next year if it doesn't sell.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys - and MountainGoat thanks for that analysis.

I guess we don't know what is the actual selling price of these cars; or how long they're taking to sell.

Also think you're right that condition is probably more important with these cars - where much of their appeal is based on their looks.

So I might give it a shot at selling as is now - and get the paintwork done next year if it doesn't sell.
Go for it, there’s nothing to lose. As always, some adverts can last indefinitely if you pay enough (autotrader), so if things aren’t moving, you can get the paint sorted and use the same advert. All the best anyway!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Go for it, there’s nothing to lose. As always, some adverts can last indefinitely if you pay enough (autotrader), so if things aren’t moving, you can get the paint sorted and use the same advert. All the best anyway!
All well and good,it is only worth what people are prepared to pay all said and then

Most of these Alfas highlighted have been sitting unsold for varying length of time...interesting nonetheless 🤔

·
Registered
251 Posts
For adverts on autotrader you can see how long they've been up for. You'll need to be on the website (not the app) fort this.

When viewing an advert, look at the first 8 numbers in the URL after the bit that says https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/ this is the date the advert was put up in the format YYYYMMDD.

Taking an advert for a GTV at random: Auto Trader UK - New and Used Cars For Sale

This one was listed on 13/05/2022 (20220513 in the URL).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts