Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Household Electrical Appliance Replacements

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
... in the last 10 years.

Through wear-out or breakages, not "upgrades".

Irons for me. I keep dropping the fekkers.
Been through 5 in the last 10 years

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We've had a million kettles. The really expensive and cool art deco one that was £50 lasted 6 months.

As for irons, don't pick the bugger up and you won't drop it will ya?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi ZF! :)

Make do and mend, eh?

Trouble is these plastics are a bugger to put back together these days. :(

·
Premium Member
42,865 Posts
washing machines.... followed closely by vacum cleaners I reckon. .... I blame Mrs B :D

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
60 watt soldering iron, stick of compatible plastic. Welders? I've s*** 'em! Never mind the aesthetics, repair and save wastage. :D

·
Administrator
60,635 Posts
Hair dryers are silly things, they burn up :rolleyes:, eat my hair :rolleyes:. I get maybe 2 years out of them, just enough to miss the return dates. :lol:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
60 watt soldering iron, stick of compatible plastic. Welders? I've s*** 'em! Never mind the aesthetics, repair and save wastage. :D

Hi ZF, Most of these modern things are not intended to be repaired. I did our Bosch vacuum cleaner when the inner end of the cord wind spring broke. It has only four screws, and a few plastic clip together bits, never intended to be pulled apart. I ground a fresh end on the spring, and it is working OK. Now my shaver has lost a function, only been going since 1993. Must pull it apart.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Hi! KG.:): If they can make them and assemble them, I'll always have a bash at repairing them if I can. Some I'll admit are assembled with bits that self destruct on dismantling, and are hardly worth the challenge unless one is totally bored? Latest fix old Samsung VHS recorder, spent hours on the pesky thing. Reason? Need to transfer loads of tapes to DVD's :D

·
Registered
409 Posts
Best deal ive seen in years is from dyson. Wifes hoover had a split hose and wouldnt pick up and someone mentioned there repair service .
Well they collected it put 11 new parts on it including new motor ect returned it to us in 4 days and the cost of this £69 a lot cheaper than buying a new one .:thumbs:

·
Registered
13,986 Posts
Best deal ive seen in years is from dyson. Wifes hoover had a split hose and wouldnt pick up and someone mentioned there repair service .
Well they collected it put 11 new parts on it including new motor ect returned it to us in 4 days and the cost of this £69 a lot cheaper than buying a new one .:thumbs:
That's worth knowing.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
we seem to be lucky, we haven't replaced many appliances over the last 10 years......

·
Registered
733 Posts
Fridge freezers. We had a Hotpoint that spanned two marriages, lasted about 12 years and still going strong, but wife 2 wanted a new and larger one. We splashed out quite a lot of hard-earned on a new Bosch, "Last you a lieftime", the salesman said, but with a 3 year guarantee, it died after 3 years and 1 month. A relay had gone on the motor, you couldn't buy just that part, and a new motor unit with fitting, was going to cost almost as much as the whole thing had 3 years before. Clearly beyond economic repair, so to replace it, we bought the most expensive one in the shop, an even larger Meile which we were assured "Would last us a lifetime". This time I hope they're right. 'German quality & reliability' eh?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Microwaves in this house, not sure why as they only ever get used for baked beans :confused: had 4 in the last 4 yrs - stupid bloody things!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Oh yes, and we've got through three microwaves in about the same period. None of these got a great deal of use, not baked beans but hot drinks in our case, you couldn't think that two milky drinks each night plus an occasional bit of de-frosting would knacker them that quickly, would you?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Microwaves in this house, not sure why as they only ever get used for baked beans :confused: had 4 in the last 4 yrs - stupid bloody things!
Have you tried opening the can of beans and pouring them into a bowl
before placing them in the microwave? :confused:

:)p)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts