Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the hot weather it has been really annoying driving my Alfa because of the leather seats. I am unlucky not to have a car park space at work in the shade, it just stands in the sun all day.
Yesterday I had to go out to another office after lunch and when I got in it the leather was soooo hot I could just about sit in it. Not even going to bother mentiong the air con, it's rubish!!!
Oh and another thing, don't Alfa Romeo know that heat reflective windscreens have been invented since the 90s? It's amazing how much this helps when you have a long drive and the sun just beats down on you.

How do people manage or is it just me being over sensitive?

One thing I would like is heated and cooled seats, that would be amazing! :D

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I use one of those semi-rigid foil based reflective windscreen shades (from Disney);)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ive been keeping my windows open for the last few days only while the car is on the drive obv and it has helped a bit, also stops my steering wheel squeek and grind........ but I did burn my hand yesterday while trying to clean the dash with a wipe.

The heat just went straight through the wipe ....ouch

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use one of those semi-rigid foil based reflective windscreen shades (from Disney);)
How well do they work?
I am just getting ready for a 3000mile trip around Europe, leaving on Saturday and dreading the heat in Hungary and Romania where it gets above 35C.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
those screens dont help cool the car down i my opinion, the heat just bounce back and forth between the glass and the screen
I used to have them fitted to a Renault Laguna and Peugeot 406, did a great job, especially on a long drive where you have the aircon on.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
How well do they work?
I am just getting ready for a 3000mile trip around Europe, leaving on Saturday and dreading the heat in Hungary and Romania where it gets above 35C.
Really quite well actually. Used them in Florida too:D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry just realised your were talking about that blind and not the actual windscreen.

Can you get heat reflective windscreens on the new 159s?

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Well its 40+ deg here for 4 months of the year so you get used to the sun and how to avoid it. Many window tints have special reflective stuff in them which helps a lot. Also using screen shade will keep direct sun from heating up the leather and the dash so when the AC is on it takes a bit less time to cool.

I have a black car with leather so I'm not exactly keen on the sun :lol: mostly keep the car in the shade during the day.

AC works well upto about 40degC but does need to be working correctly otherwise its useless and may depend how you set it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well its 40+ deg here for 4 months of the year so you get used to the sun and how to avoid it. Many window tints have special reflective stuff in them which helps a lot. Also using screen shade will keep direct sun from heating up the leather and the dash so when the AC is on it takes a bit less time to cool.

I have a black car with leather so I'm not exactly keen on the sun :lol: mostly keep the car in the shade during the day.

AC works well upto about 40degC but does need to be working correctly otherwise its useless and may depend how you set it.
I don't envy you at all!! :)

Well the aircon does work, only regassed it last year so it should last more then a year, I would think.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
If you leave the car parked in the sun here it can easily be 50degC on the temp gauge :eek:

Shorts are best avoided with leather seats when its that hot :lol:

N

·
0 Posts
those screens dont help cool the car down i my opinion, the heat just bounce back and forth between the glass and the screen
No you really do need them down here.

It reflects more radiation, unlike the car interior, which absorbs
and re-emits at a longer wavelength which cannot return
through the glass. The so called "Greenhouse effect" :thumbs:

I've got a Roadsign one. :p

Leather is terrible in hot weather.
Probably will go back to cloth for the next car.

·
0 Posts
I found out on Sunday that the leather interior & wearing shorts don't mix well! :lol:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I've never found it an issue really, it must be grim & dull oop North or something :D I do remember burning the back of my legs on seats in my Dad's MG Midget once, they had a metal type rim around the edge of the seat, that was agood idea :rolleyes:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The things we put up with in the name of love! :lol:

Might try the sheep skin option, see if it's any good!
:cheese:

Anyway, I will just continue to sweat until the winter comes and then I can use the heated seats :D

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
30+ for me from May to September with a few weeks in the 40's in July. The GTV is actually quite effective in cooling down (small cabin space, less air to cool :thumbs: ) but the black 164 with its poor air con and dark red leather is a killer. Glad it's no longer my daily driver to be honest...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts