Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
45,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just tried to take a shower, and it cut out. Assumed it was the pump at first (power shower), but on checking the bathroom hot tap, nothing out of that either.

I'm confused now, and possibly misremembering how these things work.

On running out of hot water, I'd expect the supply to continue, but be cold. Any underlying issue that might cause the water supply to stop altogether?

We have stored hot and cold (set up like that for the power shower I think), so I wondered if our supply has been cut, and the hot stored has run out before the cold - but nothing listed on United Utilities web page.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
Pipes frozen at input to stored supply so it cannot refill?

·
Administrator
45,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. Nowhere near as cold last night as it has been though.

Just checked cylinder, and it is empty.

L

·
0 Posts
supply frozen? If your cold water is still on then fault with supply to your water tank assuming you don't have a combi boiler or similar set up.

·
Administrator
45,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got the boiler on now set to hot water only - will see if it starts to fill it again.

This is particularly badly timed as my daughter is currently employed vomiting on everything we own. Of course, the amount of things we've had to rinse so far might well be the reason for the lack of hot water!

So, how does the hot water cylinder work? Will it empty? Or does it fill from one end with cold as the hot is taken from the other?

·
Administrator
45,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was going to put the immersion on too - but that works by heating water already in the cylinder I think, so no point at present.

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
Stuck ballcock or similar so it never refills? I had one that stuck open which became obvious as the overflow pipe started spouting.

L

·
0 Posts
should have a cold water tank above the cylinder which feeds the hot water cylinder normally in a loft depending on what sort of system you have. how old is the system?

·
Administrator
45,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't know of any roadworks.

Where would the ballcock be and how can I spot it?

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
Feeder tank in the loft normally.

·
Administrator
45,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Boiler has switched itself off, despite the hot water cylinder still feeling empty, and there still being nothing to the taps.

What does that mean?

L

·
0 Posts
Boiler has switched itself off, despite the hot water cylinder still feeling empty, and there still being nothing to the taps.

What does that mean?
Cylinder stat has switched it off to stop overheating

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
No water at the taps means the main supply is interrupted. First port of call is to go online and check your water company for supply interruption notices.

I am assuming here this is all taps (hot and cold).

·
Administrator
45,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wait - feeder tank has cold water supply? But that feeds both the hot water system, and the cold taps?

Certainly nothing is coming out of our overflow spout.

Pipes leading to the cylinder are hot - so maybe it is doing something, and I've just not allowed enough time?

·
Administrator
45,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cylinder stat has switched it off to stop overheating
Ah right, and that would happen quicker with no water in it I guess.

So how does the boiler system work? Boiler is downstairs, hot water cylinder upstairs. Does boiler heat water directly which is fed into cylinder? Or is there a captive system which it heats, and the cylinder has heat exchange pipes within it to heat a separate reservoir of usable water?

If the latter, then I can heat it all I like - with the reservoir not having any usable water in it, it's doing no good - so I need to look at what is stopping water being supplied to the cylinder.

Am I understanding things correctly there?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts