Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving round on these cold days, I noticed the water temp on my 1.8 16v was milling around the 80degC mark... is this normal for a cold day, or should it still be around 90degC, meaning my thermostat's a bit rogered?

And was it ever settled about whether the thermostat on a 16v engine could be replaced seperately (and cheaply!) or whether it was in fact cast into the centre of the engine, requiring a complete new engine? ;)

M

·
0 Posts
My temp has dropped to around 80ºC aswell. I replaced my stat about 18 months ago so I think it's still OK (or should be). The stats are a one piece setup requiring a complete new engine, gearbox and suspension.....not to mention the new brakes and tyres that are also needed to replace the stat ;)

W

·
0 Posts
Could be 'cos its colder at the moment, recent replies seem to be saying that anything from 80 up was ok.

btw...Marlon, sorry you're wrong, the 16v thermostat involves changing the majority of the chassis and front body work which is attached to the engine .....get rid of all this and access is easy :p

wrinx

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Hi Wrinxie, oh techie meister: i've taken out the engine, gearbox, suspension, front bodywork, brakes, all the wheels just in case, now where exactly does this stat thingy go? (laughing) forgot to turn on smilies. no serious answer anticipated.

utter nonsense

help me.............. I've started Quinning.......... aaarrgghhhhhh

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
wrinx said:
btw...Marlon, sorry you're wrong, the 16v thermostat involves changing the majority of the chassis and front body work which is attached to the engine .....get rid of all this and access is easy :p
If it's so much work to change the stat wouldn't it be easier just to give it to MT and buy another one :D :D :D :D

san

W

·
0 Posts
You have a good point San...sure you could probably buy a late 8v for the price of a 16v Stat and save yourself the trouble in future......hows that :D

wrinx

M

·
0 Posts
Debs, it's on the left hand side of the engine (as you look at the car from the front). It'll have a big black hose going into it, and one coming out. It'll also have the temp sensor screwed into the top of it which has a blue plug.

W

·
0 Posts
Err.....its actually on the right hand side of the engine as you look from the front of the car. The 16v has millions of hoses coming off it (well, about 8).

wrinx

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Mine sits about 70 in this weather :eek:

And the Silverstone sits at 90 (just had new thermostat fitted) :D but i think the water pump is well worn :( more expense :rolleyes:

E

·
0 Posts
Mine is the same, Speedy. As soon as I hit the motorway the temp drops to somewhere between 70 and 80. In town it climbs back to more normal values (85 or so). And it's on a new water pump and thermostat (and don't forget to remove the plastic plugs from your shiny new thermostat before fitting the hoses... Amhik... Or rather, don't ask). So I suppose the sensor just picks up the cold from the air blowing into the engine bay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts