Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weeks Auto Express ..... Issue no. 1351 has a comparison test between Mito QV / Seat Ibiza Cupra and Peugeot 208 GTi .

Not exactly favourable , due mainly to our TCT Gearbox ........... " it's vague, hesitant and completely gets in the way of any driving fun " according to the Deputy Road Test Editor .

Other comments ... Engine reasonable / Adaptive dampers deliver neither sporty handling nor a comfortable ride / High price tag and surprisingly poor fuel economy .

" Even after six years on sale the Mito stands out with distinctive styling "

We came last with only two stars .

Still .. who cares . Mito reigns in my books !

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Have you driven the other cars tested?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Pretty predictable really. I disagree about the TCT being vague and hesitant - did they actually drive it in manual mode? The changes are very quick IMO, much faster than any human could swap cogs with a manual box. I have no doubt dynamically the other cars might have the edge, but the Ibiza and 208 don't feel or look special at all. I'm pleased with the Mito, and happy I paid a premium for it too :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not driven the Ibiza Cupra, but have driven the Fabia Vrs, which is such an accomplished all round car it is hard to fault it, except that there is no manual option. DSG is good, but interferes too much and a real drivers car should always have a manual option at least.

The Peugeot is supposed to be great, stupid dials would annoy me though!

However good the MiTo is, it is getting on a bit now and the chassis is based on the Grande Punto, which is really getting old now. It is not really fair to compare it to modern rivals like for like, which does make Alfa's pricing strategy even more surprising!

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Sorry, I completely agree with the TCT comments! The suspension comments always frustrate me!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
403 Posts
A lot of rubbish is spoken, in the driving press, about the 208 dials.
Having driven one, all I can say is they don't have the seat and wheel adjusted correctly.
When set up, and I'm 6'2", the driving position is superb, the wheel is nice and small and great to hold, and the dials clear as a bell as you look OVER the wheel, not through it. Something the idiot press can't seem to grasp.
Ibiza is NASTY inside, and couldn't even bring myself to drive it.
Mito, for me, just has that certain something the others don't.
Long in the tooth, yes. Flawed, yes. Great car, yes.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Sorry, I completely agree with the TCT comments! The suspension comments always frustrate me!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
TCT and general driving on the 2014 model is great, with the 140 TCT you get the adaptive suspension as standard now so I'm not sure how the sprint and lesser models fair. But I drove my misses 140 Mito and thought it was a cracking car.

Preferred it to my Focus ST.!

One point was the brakes sucked in the Mito, not sure if it was the demo car or not we'll see.

·
Registered
98 Posts
having owned 2 current generation seat ibizas (copa 15mnths & fr 11 months), driven an ibiza cupra and driven a mito qv (although with out tct) i can comment that the cupra and ibizas for that matter do not feel as comfortable or handle aswell as the mito, the cupra interior feels nasty and well overpriced in my opinion also and considering cupras are known for timing chain slip and turbo failure, perhaps auto express need to stop being so biased towards vag group cars and be more honest, the mito is a fun little car to drive i believe quite alot better than ibizas, as for the 208,never driven one but if they are like the old pug 207 i believe once again they can be a fun car,for a final note who buys a hothatch for fuel economy?

·
Registered
30 Posts
We test drove the following:-

Suzuki swift sport, nasty gearbox, poor brakes naff interior. Willing na engine, good ride quality. Limited boot capacity.

Next up was the Alfa, blown away by it so but booked a drive in a fiesta st (that I really wanted)

Fiesta had an ace engine, box and brakes (but no better than the Alfa) ride quality was poorer than the Alfa at normal road speeds. cabin uninspiring and lacking in kit unless you went for an st 2 or 3, recaros ace for driving cack for access with a sprog.
Poor experience with salesman and Alfa 0% deal made it an easy choice.

On the list was the pug, Citroen DS, Clio GT and Ibiza fr edition act. French cars discounted due to cost and being french. Seat due to awful interior and lack of x factor. That and it would have cost more than the mito in the long run.

The fabia vrs had been dropped so not in equation.

Despite what the press tell you, the Alfa IMHO is a way better everyday car than its competition, but we can't have the uk press being complimentary about an Alfa can we?

·
Registered
403 Posts
We test drove the following:-

Suzuki swift sport, nasty gearbox, poor brakes naff interior. Willing na engine, good ride quality. Limited boot capacity.

Next up was the Alfa, blown away by it so but booked a drive in a fiesta st (that I really wanted)

Fiesta had an ace engine, box and brakes (but no better than the Alfa) ride quality was poorer than the Alfa at normal road speeds. cabin uninspiring and lacking in kit unless you went for an st 2 or 3, recaros ace for driving cack for access with a sprog.
Poor experience with salesman and Alfa 0% deal made it an easy choice.

On the list was the pug, Citroen DS, Clio GT and Ibiza fr edition act. French cars discounted due to cost and being french. Seat due to awful interior and lack of x factor. That and it would have cost more than the mito in the long run.

2nd all of that.
Polo gti in newest form now has manual box as standard, but the list price is crazy, discounts probably not great.
Kia pro'ceed looks really nice, and having sat in one is well screwed together, but in gt form a tad overpriced and in next segment up really.
Can't think of another car in the hot, or "warm" supermini hatch class worthy of note.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Honestly, the stock Mito is really a disappointment despite the stylish look
I had to mod a lot of things b4 the car is drivable....

·
Registered
13 Posts
My wife used to drive the Q5 2.0T and C63 Black series as daily beater, but now added a 135hp MA TCT to save the mileage

·
Registered
13 Posts
Q5 of course, may be its not a right comparison
i found the throttle response, body roll control and gearbox response are all better in the Audi
But the interior design and stylish look is definitely the Mito better
just my 2 cents

·
Registered
30 Posts
i found the throttle response, body roll control and gearbox response are all better in the Audi
just my 2 cents
Umm, OK?!

Totally different segments and brands.

I've driven dsg in fabia and its not a patch on the Alfa tct box.

Its a shame the uk press can't be sensible about the cars they test.
The vag /ford love in doesn't relate to the real world in my experience.

·
Registered
974 Posts
just my 2 cents
So were comparing a 30K (45K roughly max) car to a 13K (19K roughly max) car? I'm pretty sure the Seat Leon Cupra 280 @ 27K would make short work of your Q5 and would obliterate the Mito in just about every way, so would the Alfa Giulietta 240 1.75 QV. But if were being reasonable and comparing cars in the same class or league, the Mito fairs well (Against Fiesta, Ibiza, Polo and so on).

The C63 AMG black is a 5.0L V8 which you could buy 8 mito's for, which is like comparing a rocket to a chicken nugget. "Yeah the rocket is really fast, can take me to the moon but the chicken nugget is tastier" just my 2C.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I drove the 208 and hated it, that stupid small steering wheel drove me nuts, it blocks most of the instruments and all of the stalks. I couldnt of lived with it!!! How an earth they passed it for production I dont know! I couldnt get comfy in it at all!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts