Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

my Alfa for sole reason of late has smelt very hot / burning smell under the hood and don鈥檛 know why it鈥檚 been fine all this time with no issues at all and only done 27,000 miles on the clock, any advise or help???

Im a little worried about driving it now 馃ズ馃槩

thanks

Registered
Giulietta 120 bhp manual
Hi all,

my Alfa for sole reason of late has smelt very hot / burning smell under the hood and don鈥檛 know why it鈥檚 been fine all this time with no issues at all and only done 27,000 miles on the clock, any advise or help???

Im a little worried about driving it now 馃ズ馃槩

thanks
Can it be burnt engine oil smell that you feel? In that case it could be a leak out on the valve cover.
My Giulietta 1.4 has a bad o-ring that causes leaks, so would recommend to check this first.
Can be hard to see under plastic covers etc.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can it be burnt engine oil smell that you feel? In that case it could be a leak out on the valve cover.
My Giulietta 1.4 has a bad o-ring that causes leaks, so would recommend to check this first.
Can be hard to see under plastic covers etc.
Thanks mate, I have no leaks anywhere under the car and should be anyway as car was serviced only 2 months ago + like I said before it鈥檚 only done 27,000 mileage on it 馃ズ 馃!
I鈥檝e checked the oil and it鈥檚 lower than it should be, is that the case from my picture as the oil should be at the top of that little end bit right?

Registered
Giulietta 120 bhp manual
I would guess that its quite normal to have a bit of oil consumption if you have been driving hard, a reduction on the oil stick is probably not as bad as you think due to the small oil amount in the engine. My 1,4 has a total of 3,1 l oil, so 5 mm on the stick is not more than 0,5 l.
If you are worried about the smell, go see a local garage and ask them for advise.
A smell of burnt plastic or electrical smell is worse.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would guess that its quite normal to have a bit of oil consumption if you have been driving hard, a reduction on the oil stick is probably not as bad as you think due to the small oil amount in the engine. My 1,4 has a total of 3,1 l oil, so 5 mm on the stick is not more than 0,5 l.
If you are worried about the smell, go see a local garage and ask them for advise.
A smell of burnt plastic or electrical smell is worse.
Thank you mate 馃槵馃憤 I was running low on oil and topped it up with a litre and should be fine and got it booked in for a fresh service next week 馃槣!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts