Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gents,

May I know where are the possible leak paths this hot air from engine bay into cabin? It is very little when all windows are closed. It is more when i got my window wind down and huge amount when I got my roof down. The hit air comes into air con vents and foot well. Looking at these scenarios now it is the vacuum that sucks the hot air in? What do you think?

Any fix?

The recirculation flap is shut by the motor and I have unplugged the cable.

Where is the recirculation flap intake? In engine bay? Can I seal it with a cling wrap or something?

The heat is unbearable when driving roof down in a warm sunny day...supposed to be nice! Not so bad in winter. I am in Australia by the way. Thx

·
Registered
330 Posts
One of the two motors on the right side of the heater unit operates a flap that chooses to pass either hot air or inlet air (fresh or recycled). The heater matrix conducts hot water all the time and it's this flap that may not be sealing properly when in the cold position. It could be this control motor, or the flap getting stuck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is not the air recirculation flap you are talking about, is it? I have set this flap to shut and have the cable to the motor unplugged. It is shut permanently now.

May I know where is this other flap you are talking about. I like to find it and see what I can do to fix this issue. The hot air comes in into only when I got the window wind down or roof down.

For your info as well, all the climate control dials work fine as they should (except the recirculation button of courier as I have unplugged its motor).

Appreciate your advice!

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
From your description it sounds as if the flap Rod Duggan mentions has the operating linkage disengaged and opens and closes depending on pressure differential. With your windows and roof up there is no differential in pressure so rests in a closed position. When the windows/roof are down there is less pressure cabin side so the flap opens. I made an electronic altimeter and it would show an increase in altitude if the windows were opened!
If you look at Totally Alfa's website he has the manuals (bottom of the page) so you could look up the volume on the heating system there.

·
Registered
330 Posts
There are two motors, assuming you have the aircon version. One is to actuate the mixing flap, the other to actuate the distribution flap:
alfa1.JPG
Each flap has foam around it to seal the airflow, and there may be a problem either with the motor or the foam seal.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
As above but have a look on the left-hand side of the heater/distribution unit and see if there are three Bowden cables, the one you need to inspect is the one above where the two water pipes are, that s for the mixing port flap. Might not be there so as Rod says look at the actuation motor for the flap on the RHS. If you remove the motor the shaft for the flap may be seen, try to rotate it, also keep the motor attached to the electrical supply and adjust the temperature control to see if the motor turns accordingly.
Alternatively it could be the upper and/or mixed air sensors are at fault, I'll do an image to show you where they are. Now be aware that instructions are for LHD cars so you'll need to adjust appropriately.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg m image.jpeg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gents, I went under the dash today. Hmm, still could not find the answer.

Can I say if the mixing flap switches cold and hot effectively means its motor and seal are working fine?

I did see somewhere in the forum someone said the heater element in the AC is on all the time, is that right? Any chance there is a leak path in that compartment?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts