Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have noticed over the past few weeks whilst taking my wife to regular hospital appointment that despite there being signs at the main gates and all over the outside of the building saying 'this is a no smoking site' that people choose to ignore this and everywhere you look these disgusting people are puffing away. even more infuriating is that many of them are at the main entrance to the hospital itself so you have no choice but to walk through them. this is the case at both chesterfield and sheffield so i presume it is the same all over the country. UNBELIEVABLE:mad:

K

·
0 Posts
Those people puffing away have probably paid for that hospital by virtue of paying 5 quid in tax on every packet of Bensons.

·
Registered
726 Posts
i have noticed over the past few weeks whilst taking my wife to regular hospital appointment that despite there being signs at the main gates and all over the outside of the building saying 'this is a no smoking site' that people choose to ignore this and everywhere you look these disgusting people are puffing away. even more infuriating is that many of them are at the main entrance to the hospital itself so you have no choice but to walk through them. this is the case at both chesterfield and sheffield so i presume it is the same all over the country. UNBELIEVABLE:mad:
Indeed. You often see them at the main entrance in their jimjams holding on to drip stands.

J

·
0 Posts
yes it is the same in Plymouth and Bristol...

now i don't object to people smoking, but why not show consideration and do it at a distance from the main entrance......like the purpose built smoking area that is 100 feet away from the entrance at our hospital...

and the £5 tax on the bensons will cover the additional health care required for the smokers well being i would imagine, same as the £2 per pint tax covers the cost of looking after the alcaholic...

sorry if that sounds rather bitter, not meant that way, but that's life

K

·
0 Posts
yes it is the same in Plymouth and Bristol...

now i don't object to people smoking, but why not show consideration and do it at a distance from the main entrance......like the purpose built smoking area that is 100 feet away from the entrance at our hospital...

and the £5 tax on the bensons will cover the additional health care required for the smokers well being i would imagine, same as the £2 per pint tax covers the cost of looking after the alcaholic...

sorry if that sounds rather bitter, not meant that way, but that's life
:lol:

Smokers and drinkers contribute about £16 billion to the exchequer between them. Alcohol abuse probably costs the nation more than treatment of sickly smokers but that cost is purely down to abuse not normal usage. The majority of us who lie our arses off about only having 21 units per week don't cost a penny as a result of our consumption.

·
Registered
726 Posts
:lol:

Smokers and drinkers contribute about £16 billion to the exchequer between them. Alcohol abuse probably costs the nation more than treatment of sickly smokers but that cost is purely down to abuse not normal usage. The majority of us who lie our arses off about only having 21 units per week don't cost a penny as a result of our consumption.
Maybe a tad more - current revenues from duty on alcohol and tobacco are nearer £17 billion annually, of which £8.2 billion are for tobacco.

People often quote a figure for the cost of smoking to the NHS of £1.4 to 1.7 billion annually, but this is well out of date. The current estimate (2005-2006) is £5.2 billion per year for direct costs to the NHS attributable to smoking.

Meanwhile, the direct annual cost of alcohol-related disease to the NHS comes out as £3 billion (university group, for 2005-6), or £2.7 billion (Our Glorious Leaders, unclear for what year).

So, not everything governments do is about saving money. :)

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
It's the same at Frenchay in Bristol. There is a cigarette bin on a low wall at one of the more major entrances to the hospital (from the main road running outside) and I have yet to see anyone smoking there as opposed to on-site on my visits there (and yes, that includes some staff :( :mad:)

K

·
0 Posts
Maybe a tad more - current revenues from duty on alcohol and tobacco are nearer £17 billion annually, of which £8.2 billion are for tobacco.

People often quote a figure for the cost of smoking to the NHS of £1.4 to 1.7 billion annually, but this is well out of date. The current estimate (2005-2006) is £5.2 billion per year for direct costs to the NHS attributable to smoking.

Meanwhile, the direct annual cost of alcohol-related disease to the NHS comes out as £3 billion (university group, for 2005-6), or £2.7 billion (Our Glorious Leaders, unclear for what year).

So, not everything governments do is about saving money. :)
I think that £5.2 billion figure is a bit shonky. My chums at the NHS are still quoting £1.7 billion. For alcohol, the cost goes further than alcohol related illness because there is as lot of alcohol related anti-social behaviour.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I think that £5.2 billion figure is a bit shonky. My chums at the NHS are still quoting £1.7 billion. For alcohol, the cost goes further than alcohol related illness because there is as lot of alcohol related anti-social behaviour.
These are just direct costs and make it clear they don't include indirect costs.

And your chums at the NHS need to get up to date. :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Even though I'm a non-smoker and have never smoked in my entire life, I do think that the persecution of smokers has got a bit over the top.

Soon we will have no smoking allowed, no drinking allowed, no car driving allowed and no individual freedom allowed. This country needs to chill a bit.

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
Even though I'm a non-smoker and have never smoked in my entire life, I do think that the persecution of smokers has got a bit over the top.

Soon we will have no smoking allowed, no drinking allowed, no car driving allowed and no individual freedom allowed. This country needs to chill a bit.
How about a quick spliff? :lol:

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
It's gone to your head that wakky baccy hasn't it, go on admit it!!!

Admiting it is the first step to over coming your adiction . . .

V

·
0 Posts
if they banned smoking everywhere apart from inside your private residence, people would complain

i went round so an so's house and the dirty scumbag was smoking :mad:
grow up

·
0 Posts
I smoke, but I consider others when doing so :)

To ban smoking from the entire site is ridiculous :rolleyes:

I do see plenty of folk smoking by the entrance though :tut: & I totally sympathise with non-smokers that have to walk through the smoke on their way in / out

1 - 20 of 25 Posts