Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time on this site, although have used it in the past for diagnostic reasons. Not great with cars but will have a go at most things.
Today I was left stranded in my pj bottoms and carrying the dog when my car broke down on the return from the school run! Not a great start to the day! Here's what happened, came up a hill suddenly had a lot of smoke or steam from the exhaust followed by warning message on dash. Temperature immediately went into the red so stopped and turned the engine off. Under the bonnet a hose has come off but I can't see anything except a hole where it was connected to. The hole is in a silver coloured block, the hose has a clip but about an inch down so presumably there should be something to attach the hose via the clip?
Sorry if this is unclear I'm just a simple woman with no machanical skills.
I drive a Mito 59 plate 1.4 , any suggestions greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
It sounds like the hose has come off whatever it was connected to (possibly the engine block or the thermostat).

You need to undo the hose clip, then press the hose back onto where it came off and then re-tighten the clip. Refill with coolant/anti-freeze and you're back in business.

The clip could be an awkward one if it's a "Clic" clip - those require a particular tool to re-clip them together (they either click "on" or "off") If you have a Jubliee/hose clip then you need a screwdriver to tighten it.

I don't know why the hose would have come off. If the clip (Clic type) managed to come undone somehow then then pressure in the system might have forced the hose off. If it was a hose clip then they can vibrate undone over time. Anyhow.. a tightened clip of whatever type will do it.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
First suggestion, get dressed before going on the school run :)

Second suggestion, a picture says a thousand words ... I mean a picture of the engine area where the hose has come adrift - not you in your pj bottoms :biglaugh:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts