Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I'm stumped... what tool is required to remove this hose clip?

Just about to replace the thermostat on my 3.0 Sportronic but don't want to trash the hose whilst removing the clip.

Or is the clip fastening mechanism underneath on this photo - and will therefore be revealed once I remove the stat?

(I thought the hardest part of this job was going to be removing the black plastic junction box helpfully attached to the thermostat housing...)

Have Jubilee clip on standby if a replacement is required...

Attachments

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For those who haven't encountered these clips, the trick is to slide (or tap, or lever) the outer part of the clip fixing off the inner: see pic below for the piece that slides off.

As per gtearl above, you will need a replacement clip.

Job done, new thermostat now in place and tested. Old one definitely knackered.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,943 Posts
Gosh JG IIRC I hacksawed the old one off and replace with jubes (Jubilee Clips) . All the others already had the jubes.
Hope you used jubillees and didn't spend an arm and leg getting exact replacement.

Pomeo

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I can take them off and reuse them many times over but better to replace on a critical part like coolant hose. In other not-so-critical areas I take them off with a pair of cutting nippers (attached image) and squeeze them back on with the same tool, sometimes with a bit of help from a screwdriver to push the top down securely. If you're careful they can be reused but as I say, maybe on coolant hose you want to use the nippers to take it off and replace with new clamp.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I can take them off and reuse them many times over but better to replace on a critical part like coolant hose. In other not-so-critical areas I take them off with a pair of cutting nippers (attached image) and squeeze them back on with the same tool, sometimes with a bit of help from a screwdriver to push the top down securely. If you're careful they can be reused but as I say, maybe on coolant hose you want to use the nippers to take it off and replace with new clamp.
I think you might be thinking of the Clic or Clic-R clamps (as used on intake rubber pipe, chrome pipes, etc.) for which a proper Clic clamp tool is readily available (eBay, Korean sellers) and, as you said, end nippers are a good substitute.

The type of clamp (Caillau VISA-E) used on the thermostat hose is shown in the picture below - and is NOT reusable as it resembles a cable tie contrived in stainless steel. The piece shown earlier is a tension compensating section (a spring that allows the clip to expand), and the actual clamping part is a one-way ratchet operating on teeth usually found about 90 degrees around the clamp where they can't be reached :) no tools exist to remove and refit these. During initial installation with a special tool, a "shear pip" ensures correct tension by shearing off.

I first learned about them on none other than AlfaBB which you know ;)
Caillau, VISA hose clamp - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

-Alex

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts