Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have decided over the weekend to replace coolant. Suppose to be an easy job...

I didn't find any tap or anything to drain the coolant, so I decided just to undo one of the hose clamps (the one connected to the radiator @ the bottom)

I have bumped into a hose clamp that I have never seen before, dont know if I need special type of pliers for them or what. My previous car was simple philips/flat screwdriver sort of clamp. After 30 min of ripping into the original clamp I finally managed to get it off. Obviously I had to buy new clamp afterwards because this one was ummm unusable :)

My question is what sort of hose clamp is this... how do you "normally" take it off and is it reusable. I saw they are used through out the car and I don't want to rip into every single one of them. :p

Cheers!
Luke

·
Registered
822 Posts
Mine has 'Clic' style clips and you can get pliers to get them off and re-fit (try a search on Amazon). I have to say that I much prefer the Jubilee clips as Rockhopper says. The Clic style are quicker to fit on the assembly line though!!

Keith

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just replace it with a jubilee clip, thats what i did on mine.
Mine has 'Clic' style clips and you can get pliers to get them off and re-fit (try a search on Amazon). I have to say that I much prefer the Jubilee clips as Rockhopper says. The Clic style are quicker to fit on the assembly line though!!

Keith
I think I'll gradually replace all of them to Jubilee because it is just a lot easier to work with. :rant: It is just a bit of a pain in the a$$ to remove them on the first place.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
The Clic clips are used for lower pressure applications (air intakes, breathers etc.) while the VISA clamps are used for higher pressure.

They're both quick to apply on the production line but obviously the VISA clamp has the disadvantage that they are not re-useable.

If you look on the side of the clamp head (not the "belt" bit..) there is a little tab on each side, holding it in place. If you bend that back, you can grab the head (with pliers) and slide that off the crimped part. This allows the crimped part underneath to be opened up (like a CV joint clip) and then you can release the clamp from the hose.

It's more tricky of course when the clamp is barely visible through a mass of pipes and wiring and you can hardly see it, never mind get access to it.... :D but there you go. A teeeeny screwdriver is your best friend.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The lower on mine was "Click" style as well, undid it with my fingers by pressing each side down and taking the hose off ... the upper one on the contrary was with these Visa E types, destroyed it and refitted it with jubilee ...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
when I did my bottom turbo hose i could not get a jubilee clip that big to go arround it so just put 2 100mm jubilee clips together :)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Hi,
The red coolant is Paraflu up, by Fiat Lubricants, it's a monoethelyne glycol, which is formulated for Alfas as the coolant has a raised boiling point to 130deg I think.

Not sure what coolant your JTS engine uses as I only use the red Paraflu as twin sparks generate allot of heat.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi,
The red coolant is Paraflu up, by Fiat Lubricants, it's a monoethelyne glycol, which is formulated for Alfas as the coolant has a raised boiling point to 130deg I think.

Not sure what coolant your JTS engine uses as I only use the red Paraflu as twin sparks generate allot of heat.
To get anything "alfa romeo" or even European here is either ridiculously expensive or nearly impossible. So I just went to my normal car shop and got coolant concentrate ($50/5L bottle). Mixed it 50/50. One thing though, my temp gauge always shows slightly above 90 deg (1mm off to the right from 90). I will check it with my diag software though because for example my rev shows me 1.1k rpm on idle but diag shows that rpm is actually at 900... BUT thats different issue altogether :cheese:

·
Registered
926 Posts
I thought Paraflu up is either red or green? I don't know the difference between the two to be honest, I just thought the blue was for later models and the V6 engines.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
red is 5yr coolant i believe and green 2yr
I always been told that red one is a bit abrasive and if cooling system isn't used to it, it might leak eventually/get used up quicker. The way been explained is almost as if red one has sandy like substance in it. Mind you it was for my motorcycle. Have I been told wrong? :confused:

·
Registered
30,079 Posts
First of all, you can't 100% be sure of coolant type just by the colour.
However! in general, old style coolants are blue and later OAT type red.
Red is safe to use providing you have flushed any remains of the older blue type out.

I switched my 156 to red coolant about 7-years ago.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
I always been told that red one is a bit abrasive and if cooling system isn't used to it, it might leak eventually/get used up quicker. The way been explained is almost as if red one has sandy like substance in it. Mind you it was for my motorcycle. Have I been told wrong? :confused:
sandy not sure about that :cheese:news to me

i always used green on my bikes but that was because of 2 yr replacement intervals stippulated by manufacturers

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
First of all, you can't 100% be sure of coolant type just by the colour.
However! in general, old style coolants are blue and later OAT type red.
Red is safe to use providing you have flushed any remains of the older blue type out.

I switched my 156 to red coolant about 7-years ago.
I see, I think I'll stick to green one for now since I have just replaced it :cry:
I guess in 12 months or so I'll change it to red. Mind you, temperature here doesn't drop below 0 so most people put water in their cars :lol:

·
Registered
926 Posts
To be honest, the red and blue Paraflu up are exactly the same to me, the red and blue are in same retail packaging and both are monoethelyne glycol, the red or blue colours, as far as I'm aware is the dye or corrosion inhibitors, it must serve a purpose as I have had a few minor leaks, and the red residue is easy to spot! It must be there to see where leaks are coming from, maybe the blue Paraflu up is for newer engines/models, like the JTS or 3.2 engines?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts