Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have done a search but not come to any conclusion.
I am looking into tyres for the 18 inch Horseshoe alloys usually fitted to Brera/159.

The tyres on the wheels are 235/45/18 98Y.

I have asked the local tyre man, who is also my step daughters boyfriend,to quote me on a set. He says the size coming up on the computer is 234/40/18.

Who is right??!!

The 40 versions seem a bit cheaper than the 45 version. Is there a massive difference between the two??

Confused!

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nev. Thought that was the case.

What would happen if the 40 went on? Understand there would be insurance issues should there be an "incident".

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Agree with Nev....

Try Event Tyres, thats where i get mine, best so far have been the bridgestones, about 180 each....

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
As discussed in another thread, using the wrong tyres could stuff you if you need to claim on insurance, so best avoid.

The cheapest our local could do was Accelera 98Y tyres which can in at an amazingly low £92 fitted or £172 for Bridgestones.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok all, point taken! 45s it is...:)

Will keep an eye open for a set of part worn, there are some good deals to be had on those.
Tracking a pair on fleabay at the moment, so hads off the rest of you!

Just checked with the wife, she doesn't like the Horseshoe alloys, is she an actual mentalist I ask myself...?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Just checked with the wife, she doesn't like the Horseshoe alloys, is she an actual mentalist I ask myself...?
Best do something about that then.

I'd change the wife...

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Already did that one! Second one is fabulous, apart from her obvious wheel issues.
She said I should have bought the spoked version, I said has she tried cleaning spoked alloys.....you can guess the answer.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Already did that one! Second one is fabulous, apart from her obvious wheel issues.
She said I should have bought the spoked version, I said has she tried cleaning spoked alloys.....you can guess the answer.
Wynne, Don't worry about that, women just don't "get" Italian Exotica! Mine prefers the 17" multispokes to my 18's. The important thing is WE all like them!:lol:

N

·
0 Posts
The 159 easily carries 17s.

The Brera though cannot and having to shell out for 18" or 19" tyres
is unfortunately part of the overall cost of owning one. :(

As is the fact that the 18s are EZ-Scratch™® rims.

(They are cool looking though. ;))

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going from 16" multispokes to the 18" Horseshoes.
Think I will feel and see a massive difference!

Can't wait. Car looks daft at the moment, needs bigger wheels to fill the arches and set of the body lines.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The 159 easily carries 17s.

The Brera though cannot and having to shell out for 18" or 19" tyres
is unfortunately part of the overall cost of owning one. :(

As is the fact that the 18s are EZ-Scratch™® rims.

(They are cool looking though. ;))
I think the 159 needs 18's to really set off the lines as wynne said. But your right on the rest.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nev
Had a look at your gallery, apart from a rather gorgeous Brera I can't see any pics of the 159?

Twissler
Yours look perfect against the black body, can't wait to see what mine look like against the Stromboli Grey. Hope they work well.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
When I had a minor scape of my upgraded alloys on a previous old car I felt sick for a month.

Now people think I'm in capable of parking as I'm never close to the kerb!

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But your wheels look all the better from staying away from kerbs, thankfully!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
But your wheels look all the better from staying away from kerbs, thankfully!
:)

Going to be too scared to drive when I have the 19s on...

To put you out of your misery. I'm sorting a meeting for next week to collect my wheels, erm I mean sort some business, so hopefully we can get your car sorted next weekend?

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, sooner than I thought!
I have my lads next weekend, but I could do a late afternoon meet Mon 8th/Wed 10th if you can? 3pm kind of time.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Wow, sooner than I thought!
I have my lads next weekend, but I could do a late afternoon meet Mon 8th/Wed 10th if you can? 3pm kind of time.
Monday could be doable. Will discuss on email to avoid boring eveyone else!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts