Crap on the road
A hazzard to themselves and everyone else
Rude
Ignorant........................

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Quite like to see them myself.

I live in a road where they use it to access bridleways with no problem. Most drivers allow a good distance from them anyway.

Also the police use them regularly in Milton Keynes centre just for normal patrol duties and I think it adds to their visiblity...works well, and the horses get a lot of attention.

Obviously not for main roads but otherwise - no problem.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I voted no, even though I am from a very horsey family.

Cyclists, pedestrians and horse riders have as much right to use the roads as cars and rightly so. However, there are so many cars on the roads now, that it can be very, very dangerous.

It's a shame as it would be great if we could all use the roads together. But after the fright I got the other day I can see it's just not going to work. I came round a bend on a narrow A road with steep banks up the side to see a pedestrian in the road. Luckily there was no traffic coming the other way, so I could pull out and swerve round him. Had there been traffic coming the other way (which there would have been had it not been late at night) it would have resulted in a serious accident. I was not travelling at more than 60 either.

Edit: Having read the post above I should point out that I mean no on A roads. Access to bridleways should remain. Having said that, horseriders generally use roads because they have to, it's not as if they enjoy it!

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go on Chris....tell us what's happened to you...

wrinx

·
Registered
31,304 Posts

·
Super Moderator
44,766 Posts
They should be allowed, but they should clean up the crap after themselves.
Actually, that's already legally true, but they still don't, same as smokers who throw butts out the window.
I once asked (very politely) a group of horse riders to clean up the !!!!e their horses had left in front of the shop I was working in. The stream of expletives I was subjected to was quite impressive.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wrinx said:
Go on Chris....tell us what's happened to you...

wrinx
I live in a rural area so naturally horses are a common sight, not helped by the farmer who rather than working his land just sits on his backside and rents his land out to horse owners for a not inconsiderable amount of money. (Yes I know that's another tin of worms, he also does grass track racing) .

Anyway, I digress, Saturday last weekend, leaving the village, hit the 60 zone and went around the next bend to find 3 horses being ridden side by side with a geriatric overtaking them. I didn't hit anything but I did have the ABS earning its money.

Was it the riders fault for going out at dusk and not having any consideration?

Was it the other drivers fault for overtaking on a blind bend?

Nope, it was me who got the foul mouthed abuse off the riders. :rolleyes: Fact is, I was doing nothing wrong. But that is just one of many near misses. They go out at rush hour, down one road in particular which has numerous blind dips and crests plenty big enough to hide a horse. They act like they own the road and its the motorists responsibilty to stay out of their way. I'm always the fist to slow down for horses as I can see their argument but frankly its been worse than ever this year and I firmly belive they are going to cause a serious accident.

I'm not the only one who feels this way. We were chatting about it in the pub and everyone there (strangers too) gererally felt the same way.

I need to think about this really. I've just been pouring out my feelings without any structure to it. I'll come up with a proper argument later. :)

·
Super Moderator
44,766 Posts
3 abreast round a corner? Idiotic behaviour. they obviously have no idea how best to ride on the roads.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Someone I know found himself rapidly advacning on a horse after going over a blind crest...the horse never stood a chance.

Unfortunately, there are many factors to blame in "accidents" (no such thing as an true accident apparantly, they can all be avoided). As Fraser intimated, removing one of the many obstacles out there will just mean another pops ups :rolleyes:

However......I'm not sure that horses have a place on the roads these days. Far too risky for all and to be honest it's the horse that will end up worse off and I feel sorry for it/them.

But, I do think they should have insurance! Someone else I know had their bonnet stived in by a frightened horse....he ended up shelling out for the repairs!!!

Actually......I think we should have Personal insurance to cover everything, including cars.....ah, but that owuld surely be cheaper than the current system, can't have that can we :rolleyes:

wrinx

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Andy said:
i say keep em on the road espeasally when theres nice fit ladys riding them ;)
:cool: A good point in some ways,a lot of horsey types consist of young blart in very tight jodpurs......this is good :D
:( The downside is that a lot of them are barking mad and like horses more than humans......I've encountered a couple of lasses who quite happily admitted to becoming orgasmic on horseback...........All they done to me was moan though,about horses mostly too:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
FLO said:
:cool: A good point in some ways,a lot of horsey types consist of young blart in very tight jodpurs......this is good :D
:( The downside is that a lot of them are barking mad and like horses more than humans......I've encountered a couple of lasses who quite happily admitted to becoming orgasmic on horseback...........All they done to me was moan though,about horses mostly too:rolleyes:
:cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

Shouldn't there be some sort of test before you ride a horse on the road? And compulsory insurance is a good idea. 3 abreast on a busy road is just plain nuts!

I think horses should be alowed on the road, but only to get to somewhere safer to ride (assuming there is somewhere!), at least a horse is easier to overtake than a horsebox!

Buck

·
Super Moderator
44,766 Posts
Buck Bundy said:
:cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

Shouldn't there be some sort of test before you ride a horse on the road? And compulsory insurance is a good idea. 3 abreast on a busy road is just plain nuts!

I think horses should be alowed on the road, but only to get to somewhere safer to ride (assuming there is somewhere!), at least a horse is easier to overtake than a horsebox!

Buck
probably true. But then shouldn't there be tests and insurance before you ride a bicycle on the road too?
The problem is that to administrate the testing and insurance correctly, you need to register every horse and every bicycle, and that costs a LOT of money.
And it'll only alienate particular sections of the voting mass, so no politician is ever going to suggest it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
i have friends with horse and they are insured ,there is also a code of practice which involves high visibility marking and the wearing of lights(like bicycle lights)..horses are ok,its irresponsible owners that are a problem..saying that,i was thrashing down a road in cheshire somewhere on the duc when a bloke on an r1 overtook me like i was standing still,,next thing his brake lights come on and hes snaking all over the road ,,theres a horse in the middle of the road rearing up like champion the wonderhorse with a rider holding on for dear life..you cant second guess a horse..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Do you remember your cycling proficiency test? Do you wear a cycle helmet, wearing bright/reflective gear?

In much the same way, the Pony Club runs Riding and Road Safety courses, which teach you the basics (like that it is illegal to ride three abreast). However it's not cool to wear fluorescent clothing, and so mosy riders don't.

Simon.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
FLO said:
The downside is that a lot of them are barking mad and like horses more than humans......
Yes, my last girlfriend but one was pretty barking and certainly had more time for her horse than for me – she was quite fit though.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
bazza said:
probably true. But then shouldn't there be tests and insurance before you ride a bicycle on the road too?
The problem is that to administrate the testing and insurance correctly, you need to register every horse and every bicycle, and that costs a LOT of money.
And it'll only alienate particular sections of the voting mass, so no politician is ever going to suggest it.
Well they've already allienated the horsey section by insisting that every horse needs an equine passport! :rolleyes:

But anyway, why should it mean you have to register every horse and every bike. You are licensed to drive, not on any particular car. The fact that cars need to be registered is for an entirely different reason. The insurance could be basic third party liability insurance, typically through an equine insurance broker, where they insist on proof of adequate training, such as an approved scheme through Pony club, British Horse Society or similar. Police should be aware of what is right and wrong and then they should enforce it properly, by nicking people who ride three abreast! :tut:

Buck

·
Super Moderator
44,766 Posts
Buck Bundy said:
But anyway, why should it mean you have to register every horse and every bike.
If the horse/bike isn't registered, how do the powers that be know it exists, and therefore needs to be insured?

On top of this, what insurer is going to insure an 8 year old on a bike or car?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts