Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
45,147 Posts
Nah. I rarely resent anyone for going slow on the road.
What I resent is the pillock behind them who won't or can't overtake, but tailgates them so that no-one else can get past either.

·
Registered
55 Posts
there was a case of a farmer who was prosecuted for causing a 50 car tail behind him something got to do with maintaining progress i think

·
Administrator
23,020 Posts
I am not an animal lover - don't even eat them.

I do understand that people with different persuasions need to transport horses for their own debatable reasons. Think about it - you are pulling a trailer with a four legged friend in it. Said friend must need a stable platform with minimum acceleration and braking.

I am on the side of the horse - it didn't ask to be put in a box - so I will show consideration - and do my best to pass with no noticeable effect.

·
Banned
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yet another countryside hating thread?

Just stay in the towns & cities if you don't like being in the
countryside. ;)

See also:

20 ridiculous complaints made by holidaymakers - Telegraph
I'd be surprised if you could get more 'countryside' than where I am now, bearing in mind I am in the most populated 'quarter' of the UK. We still have proper countryside here.

I like seeing horses being ridden out,,,,,,,, where they belong. i.e country lanes, fields etc etc. Not on bloody main roads at peak times.

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts
Yet another countryside hating thread?

Just stay in the towns & cities if you don't like being in the
countryside. ;)
Even that idea doesn't work in and around Edinburgh at the moment - the Royal Highland Show is on in a showground right next to the Airport and just off the end of the City Bypass alongside one of the main arterial routes into the city centre, (brilliant location - NOT, :rolleyes: - Yes, I know that it's the historical site for this show and that over the many years since the first show, road traffic has increased umpteen-fold and the airport has expanded out of all recognition.). These are busy enough roads at the best of times without being clogged up with long lines of farm vehicles trailering machinery and animals, equally long queues of people going to 'spectate' and then just to ensure total gridlock, 'Her Maj' attends as well with the inevitable road closures/clearances.

My normally 20 minutes max (all at legal speeds, of course :D) journeys to and from work took more than 2 hours yesterday, :mad::mad:. Thanks for making an already long day considerably longer.

I know that farmers don't have an easy life (my partner's brother owns a hill farm in Argyll) with long hours and cr4p monetary returns, :(, and therefore more than most deserve some R & R time but I prefer just to see my food on the plate and not being paraded around a show-ring. After all, weren't we all told as children not to play with our food?, :tut:. If you must all meet up, couldn't you arrange to do it in some nice remote field somewhere rather than 10 miles from the centre of a Capital City?, :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I live in a fairly rural area but the worst slow moving vehicles I come across are Alphacranes from the Barr Construction Depot. As well as being slow they are very hard to see past due to their width. They're slow to start with but once they hit a hill their previous speeds were lightning fast.

M

·
0 Posts
Don't mind, trailers or horseboxes...

What I do hate is some drivers with them that on difficult to overtake lanes keep going past layby's without letting anyone past.

It would hold them up a few seconds and let 10 - 15 cars through but no they keep plodding along at 45mph

H

·
0 Posts
Don't mind, trailers or horseboxes...

What I do hate is some drivers with them that on difficult to overtake lanes keep going past layby's without letting anyone past.

It would hold them up a few seconds and let 10 - 15 cars through but no they keep plodding along at 45mph
I've often thought this myself, but from their point of view, if they stop to let everyone past every time they gaggle up behind them, they'd never get anywhere. And nobody would let them back out once they did pull over. (who would honestly slow and wave a horsebox out in front of them?)

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
My normally 20 minutes max (all at legal speeds, of course :D) journeys to and from work took more than 2 hours yesterday, :mad::mad:. Thanks for making an already long day considerably longer.
And how many days out of a year is that? 120? 60? 30? 10? :rolleyes:

my partner's brother owns a hill farm in Argyll
So THAT's where all the hills come from! :lol: I always thought they happened by themselves :D

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts
And how many days out of a year is that? 120? 60? 30? 10? :rolleyes:
OK, so it's only 5, but it's 5 too many in my book :p.

So THAT's where all the hills come from! :lol: I always thought they happened by themselves :D
He's quite successful at it. You just need to look at the Scottish Highlands - they were just like one huge 'prairie' until he and a few of his farmer buddies got started with the JCB, :lol:. Just add a garnish of sheep and cattle to give some animation et voila, instant tourist attraction :).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts