Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting in my GTV 3.0 yesterday and driving off, i heard and continued to hear a horrible grinding noise coming from my front left. It got worse when i braked, especially slightly harder. Obviously i headed home, but the noise was constant and not sounding good, like metal on metal. Doesnt seem to be the brakes, and having a look it seems the drive shaft area is making contact with a metal support/brace when the car is slowed. See pics. The car is undrivable, what should i do? Is it drive shaft fail or something worse? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

·
Vendor
45,840 Posts
Check the bushes on your top engine steady, could be allowing your engine to move too far.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had a smilar incident recently and I pulled over, looked at my brakes - seemed fine, continued slowly with horrible noise, especially when turning a corner in one direction.

My friendly garage took a look and it was definitely the brakes! Somehow the caliper had failed and was allowing it to rub - had to have them replaced (with Brembo - ouch £) - fine now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cant see any damage on the discs to suggest scraping. As for the engine mounts, i cant be sure but a visual look would suggest they are ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts