Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my GTV has just failed the MOT because the horn does not work.
Strangely it only works when the key is out of the ignition.
Anyway after a bit of diagnosing with a multimeter it appears the fault is down to a bad ground connection to the centre of the steering wheel ( return path for horn contact ).
I need to get hold of a puller to get the steering wheel off in order to do some further investigation.
In the meantime does anyone know if the centre earth for the steering wheel passes through the clock spring device or whether it just relies on the steering linkage.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
my GTV has just failed the MOT because the horn does not work.
Strangely it only works when the key is out of the ignition.
Anyway after a bit of diagnosing with a multimeter it appears the fault is down to a bad ground connection to the centre of the steering wheel ( return path for horn contact ).
I need to get hold of a puller to get the steering wheel off in order to do some further investigation.
In the meantime does anyone know if the centre earth for the steering wheel passes through the clock spring device or whether it just relies on the steering linkage.
Heres my awesome diy steering wheel puller : http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-and-916-spider/262594-no-brake-servo-assist-loud-sucking-noise.html#post4086339

Earth is through the column, I think..

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have now got the steering wheel off, the good news is that the problem is not with the clock spring device as the earth does not go through it.
The bad news is that I have no idea why I have a bad earth on the centre of the column, I am getting 500 Ohms to ground when the ignition key is inserted but when the key is out I get a good contact ( seems to be earthing through the steering lock when the key is out ).
I am beginning to wonder if there is a poor earth on the steering box which is causing the problem.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Funny things electrically- steering columns. Probably due to the fact that the centre column runs in bushes which insulate it from the outer tube. I've mounted items on them in kit cars (loud indicator sounders, etc) and had to add earth leads to get them to work.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny things electrically- steering columns. Probably due to the fact that the centre column runs in bushes which insulate it from the outer tube. I've mounted items on them in kit cars (loud indicator sounders, etc) and had to add earth leads to get them to work.
Trouble is how to add a earth to something that rotates without resorting to some carbon brush type arrangement.

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,322 Posts
I had the same problem with the Alfetta and this has a wire Link across the Hardy Spicer joint of the Steering Column. Your surmise regarding the Earth going through the steering Lock is spot on, that's exactly what happens.

Now I know that this won't help on the 916 but sometime ago Clive had a similar problem on a 916 and I told him the same and then he did figure it out and managed a fix, rather than a repair I believe.

Might take a while to track the Thread down but I think that this would be the way to go - sit comfortably at your PC and then spend only ten minutes with the spanners !

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had the same problem with the Alfetta and this has a wire Link across the Hardy Spicer joint of the Steering Column. Your surmise regarding the Earth going through the steering Lock is spot on, that's exactly what happens.

Now I know that this won't help on the 916 but sometime ago Clive had a similar problem on a 916 and I told him the same and then he did figure it out and managed a fix, rather than a repair I believe.

Might take a while to track the Thread down but I think that this would be the way to go - sit comfortably at your PC and then spend only ten minutes with the spanners !
Thanks, looks like I have found the answer here http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-and-916-spider/265979-confusimg-horn-problem.html#post3987048

I will have a go at earthing the power steering pipe when I get a chance to have a look at it.

Can anyone tell me where I get access to this pipe from the top on a V6.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi

Had the same problem on mine, just fitted an earthing cable from the steering rack to the subframe (it was actually the bolt that holds the steering rack in place on the N/S) and it worked fine. I couldn't diagnose the fault either but was told to do that and it worked

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies, Fixed by attempting to loosen and then tighten the bolt that holds the steering rack to the subframe with a impact wrench.
The bolt was extremely tight and did not appear to move, but it must have moved sufficiently to improve the earth contact to the subframe and the horn is now working perfectly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts