Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

My horn relay is making a noise like a seal honking quietly when pressing the horn button on the steering wheel, I've done a bit of checking with a multimeter and I think it might be knacked.

What relay should I buy to replace the original FIAMM one.

Cheers

Sean

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,158 Posts

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
if you want to stay original (I would always if possible), this guy in australia seems to have a small stash of NOS original Fiamm 3-pin horn relays (with the 4th 'pin' being the bolt hole as earth)......price is OK, just the postage is a lot, I find.......maybe you can haggle with him:)

You've thoroughly cleaned the 'bolt hole' earth, I take it ??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Rome...245171?hash=item1eaed57b33:g:afIAAOSwiYFXGXMK

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,158 Posts
I wonder if it would be possible to strip out the inside of the old original relay then mount that over the new £2.37 one. The old casing effectively cloaking the new one?

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
also,
might even be possible to open up the old one and check whats happening......maybe just a clean up of the points with some fine emery and a spray of electrical cleaner would suffice...not too sure if the rivet holds it together or one has to peel back the tin edges, though...

probably looks like this inside, not rocket science really:)

these relays need to be mounted so the connections face downward so that moisture is hindered from getting inside.
If I bought a new one of this metal type, I would smear some clear silicon grease around the bottom edges.

Attachments

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you want to stay original (I would always if possible), this guy in australia seems to have a small stash of NOS original Fiamm 3-pin horn relays (with the 4th 'pin' being the bolt hole as earth)......price is OK, just the postage is a lot, I find.......maybe you can haggle with him:)

You've thoroughly cleaned the 'bolt hole' earth, I take it ??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Rome...245171?hash=item1eaed57b33:g:afIAAOSwiYFXGXMK
I didn't know there was one, there is a wire dangling about free, I have to wonder if this is the earth.

On my car there is a

Black Wire - Reads 12.4is V
Red Wire - Reads 12.4ish V
Purple Wire - Reads about 30mV jumps up a bit when horn is pressed
Yellow Wire - Not connected to anything...

I'll check when I finish work as I have the car here and hopefully it's easy to get at and reattach if it's the right wire.

:)

Sean

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I didn't know there was one, there is a wire dangling about free, I have to wonder if this is the earth.

On my car there is a

Black Wire - Reads 12.4is V
Red Wire - Reads 12.4ish V
Purple Wire - Reads about 30mV jumps up a bit when horn is pressed
Yellow Wire - Not connected to anything...

I'll check when I finish work as I have the car here and hopefully it's easy to get at and reattach if it's the right wire.

:)

Sean
you might be right actually, my bad....maybe the bolt is not earth

Thinking about it the connection on the steering wheel makes the earth connection...

black (3) is from the horn button on the wheel:earth
red (1) is live from the fuse: input
purple/or violet (4) is to horns themselves: output
not sure what the yellow is though.....

this is a similar relay, also original equipment, a "Mixo"
1969 GTV Horn Relay - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

1 - 7 of 7 Posts