Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so the horn stopped working on my GT. For a wee while it only worked if I pressed a certain bit of the steering wheel, but now it's totally silent.

Checked the fuse, no issues. Relay looks ok, no burnt contacts.
Read through some other posts on this forum and suspect the problem lies with the horseshoe pcb under the steering wheel boss.

But I'm not clear on a couple of things:

Recommended to disconnect battery for 15 mins to ensure airbag doesn't activate (understood).

Q1. Do I need to fully lower both windows before removing power, so that the limits reset properly when power is re-connected?
Q2. Will the car still link with remote key when battery is re-connected?
Q3. Will this generate some random fault that requires OBD access to clear?

I think the horns are located behind the drivers side headlamp, but they aren't visible from above.

Q4. If I remove the wheel arch liner, will I be able to reach the horn wiring to check the connections?

All suggestions gratefully received, even the stoopid ones.......

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Q1, dunno.
Q2, yes as it is diagnostically programmed.
Q3, no, it shouldn't.
Q4, yes.

I've not had the pleasure of doing that on a GT but part of the idea of the body computer is the switches send their particular signal to the body computer down common wires (do audio controls work?) The body computer decides what to do with the signals it receives.

I mention that as it may simply be dirty switches in the steering wheel.
Remove airbag (you know procedure already) and clean these first. Contact cleaner and/or Scotch Brite pads can be used to clean up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Fruity, that sets my tiny mind at ease. Intend to commence Operation Horny this weekend, will post again with update in case it helps someone else.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sorted.
Was indeed the circuit board behind the steering wheel. Followed the instructions from this forum, all good.
Worth adding that the pcb isn't fixed in place, the holder simply prises out of the steering wheel, then the black plastic case can be unclipped. Added some pics in case it helps anyone out.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts